Great pictures of Golindrinas

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Great pictures of Golindrinas

Postby Ernie Coffman » Mar 6, 2013 12:19 pm

Here's your Wednesday's great shots of Golindrinas :big grin:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lives.html
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Great pictures of Golindrinas

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 6, 2013 4:57 pm

A tip of the ol' helmet to Amy! Cool story and photos. Thanks for the link, Ernie.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby jodiety11 » Mar 19, 2013 3:08 am

Nature is beautiful.
Behind every successful man there's a lot u unsuccessful years. - Bob Brown
jodiety11
Infrequent Poster

Postby Tlaloc » Mar 19, 2013 9:23 am

Unbelievably horrible text. Dozens killed! Snakes and scorpions, etc. Make me vomit.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Tlaloc wrote:Unbelievably horrible text. Dozens killed! Snakes and scorpions, etc. Make me vomit.

It's the Daily Mail. It's like a combination of Yahoo News, The National Enquirer and Discover magazine. The text is always horrible. I think Ms. Hinkle is using these articles as a vehicle to get her photos published, not as a contribution to quality journalism.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 19, 2013 2:21 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:
Tlaloc wrote:Unbelievably horrible text. Dozens killed! Snakes and scorpions, etc. Make me vomit.

It's the Daily Mail. It's like a combination of Yahoo News, The National Enquirer and Discover magazine. The text is always horrible. I think Ms. Hinkle is using these articles as a vehicle to get her photos published, not as a contribution to quality journalism.

She's not much of a writer herself, check out her article in the March NSS News on curvy women and caving. The article has to be one of the worst I've ever read in the NSS News, however I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at it. Some of the things she decided to include, such as one of her boobs weighing more than the other, how she took a naked picture of herself and outlined it for her diagram, & recommending women cavers wear pasties, completely take away from what she was trying to accomplish. But then again, maybe she was trying to accomplish caver men everywhere pondering how exactly did she weigh each of her boobs (& ass) and some of them questioning what are pasties. Ridiculousness.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby graveleye » Mar 19, 2013 2:27 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:It's the Daily Mail. It's like a combination of Yahoo News, The National Enquirer and Discover magazine. The text is always horrible. I think Ms. Hinkle is using these articles as a vehicle to get her photos published, not as a contribution to quality journalism.

Nothing wrong with that. If I took great pictures and had a contact to get them published for money I would do it in a heartbeat.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 19, 2013 5:36 pm

graveleye wrote:
GroundquestMSA wrote:It's the Daily Mail. It's like a combination of Yahoo News, The National Enquirer and Discover magazine. The text is always horrible. I think Ms. Hinkle is using these articles as a vehicle to get her photos published, not as a contribution to quality journalism.

Nothing wrong with that. If I took great pictures and had a contact to get them published for money I would do it in a heartbeat.

So would I.

Kelly - That article sparked a lot of amusing conversation in my household. I did indeed have a hard time imagining how one would go about weighing their posterior. The breast weight comments were hilarious and led to our carrying around 3 gallons of milk to test the credibility of her claims. I've never made an examination of the bust in question, but a bit of research seemed to suggest that 25lbs. a set is a bit much. All that said, I'm not much of a writer either, as should be seen in next month's NEWS, and I think that publishing a wide variety (in quality and subject matter) of submissions is generally a good thing.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Great photos, but...........the comment about death..........where in the article did it say that/ I even used the "find" function and didn't see that anywhere.....
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Great photos, but...........the comment about death..........where in the article did it say that/ I even used the "find" function and didn't see that anywhere.....

Try the title.

...where the 330-metre drop has claimed dozens of climbers' lives
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 19, 2013 9:41 pm

wtf, guess i should learn to read
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Elliott-Hellmann » Mar 26, 2013 8:52 am

Yes, the picture of a tandem climb is captioned "cavers descend". Another where one of them has a Mitchell system clearly attached is captioned "Don't look down: Amy Hinkle seconds before rappeling into Golondrinas".

Still awesome photos though.
Elliott-Hellmann
Occasional Poster

Name: Elliott hellmann
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby KENTO » May 16, 2013 8:49 pm

I liked Amy's article in the NSS news missed the article about her isolating the weight of her boobs and butt. Seems sort of a self deprecating sense of humor here, that you sort of had to be there to appreciate maybe. I had commented on another Thread on CaveChat when I watched the clip on Youtube early on in her search for a better harness rig. It seems , I unwittingly perhaps threw down a gauntlet... that she found a particularly feminist reason for wanting to prove she could do big pits. She opened her story with my quote from that thread of Cavechat. I in no way meant to insinuate that women weren't able to handle themselves in deep caves. Both of my trips to Mexico were made successful by worthy contributions of the women folk along, and I don't mean the cookin.
I would rank Amy's article right up near the one by Bruce White about his trip below 1,000 meters.
I found the extreme wide angle distortion of most of her digital photos were at first glance pretty but they did take those awesome deep pits and make them look a bit too much like looking out of a Rabbit hole with greenery in miniature. Some things about the modern digital photography scene , I abhor , and this is one example of that.
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » May 20, 2013 5:01 pm

unfortunately a lot of digital "photography" today is nothing but electronic painting (yes we have been tinkering with photos a long time). It looks cool, but to my own admittedly arbritary standard of a picture representing what you were actually seeing in proper scale and effect...not so much.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » May 21, 2013 11:19 am

KENTO wrote:I found the extreme wide angle distortion of most of her digital photos were at first glance pretty but they did take those awesome deep pits and make them look a bit too much like looking out of a Rabbit hole with greenery in miniature. Some things about the modern digital photography scene , I abhor , and this is one example of that.

I hate to break it to you but lenses capable of this have been around and popular since long before digital photography. Horribly executed HDR technique is a more recent scourge.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Next

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum