What did I just read?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: What did I just read?

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 23, 2013 9:21 am

I've seen LIDAR used in precision mapping of cave passages, but this seems like a misuse of the technology when it could be better utilized in quantifying the human form. Plaster casts and tapioca seems like outdated technology, but still pretty advanced for Dan and Mikey. This all assumes that the goal is to advance our understanding of body type and its relation to vertical caving efficiency.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 23, 2013 9:29 am

hunter wrote:I should note that I am very, very happy to discover I don't usually cross rebelay's in the same fashion as either Stan or Derek! I always clip my long cowstail in as backup but I almost always clip into either the bolt hanger, maillon/locking biner or knot depending on which one I can reach. On rare occasions I mix this up with a backup on the loop if the previously mentioned points are hard to access for some reason. Somehow a short fall onto the bolt/knot strikes me as nicer than a longer fall onto the loop but I'm only moderately thrill seeking.

This probably works for you James because with your ape index your long cowstail is probably about 5-6 feet in length. My long cowstail is not much more than a carabiner length longer than my short.

James crossing a rebelay.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hunter » Apr 23, 2013 11:05 am

:rofl: I guess my perception of myself is a bit off base compared to other people's perception of me! Of course there is a reason I didn't write down the rest of my rebelay passing technique.

On a more practical note, I will have to check but I believe my long cows tail is 8in to a foot longer than my short one.

James
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Apr 24, 2013 11:04 am

Cody JW wrote:Caverdan -Now that you have the Ta Ta's figured out , have you figured out a way to accurately weigh the rear end. I think there was a reference to that in the article also.

Jeff, in hindsite....no....not sure I want to study that ass-pect of the article. Short of a carving knife...... :yikes: Maybe someone like Derek would like to get behind the study... of the weight...of ones bum. :rofl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby potholer » Apr 24, 2013 2:23 pm

caverdan wrote:Jeff, in hindsite....no....not sure I want to study that ass-pect of the article.

Nice puns.

'hindsite.com' or 'hindsight.com' would definitely be great domain names for websites devoted to rear-view erotica.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » May 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I just received the May edition of the NSS News and there's again an article by Amy in which there's the requisite boob description. I don't come from a place of experience, but I just don't understand why it's such a prominent part of every cave activity. I'm sure others would find it odd if all of my trip reports included a section on penis management issues. I'm not sure that climbing rope with big boobs or doing big vertical drops as a woman is a pioneering accomplishment.

In this article, and in other locations where she has published, there's some background framework that suggests caving, and especially vertical caving, is male dominated. She suggests that she regularly encounters the attitude that women simply aren't capable of doing these types of things and that she is proving these people wrong. I applaud her accomplishments but I certainly hope her experience with gender discrimination is unusual and isolated. Although I'm male, and my experience may be biased by that fact, I thought we had long since moved past any culture of male superiority in caving. Many of the most skilled and accomplished cavers (vertical or otherwise) that I know or know of are women, and many of them have been caving at or above the levels of their male peers for a very long time. I've been inspired and motivated by such greats as Pat Kambesis, Carol Vesely, Nancy Pistole, Pat Crowther, Barbara AmEnde, Erin Lynch, Heather Levy, Andrea Croskrey, Johanna Kovarik, Peg Palmer, Jan Conn, Jen Foote, Rene Ohms and Hazel Barton. These and many other women have been role models for many cavers, regardless of gender. In fact it's one of the things I like most about caving that we have, at least in my experience, such gender equality.
Last edited by Extremeophile on May 14, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Good post, Derek. I also just read that article, and was remembering a bunch of the awesome cavers on your list there. Not to mention smoking-fast-on-rope-Berta from Georgia. Despite there undoubtedly being more male cavers than females, it seems to me there is reasonable gender equality in most caving regions all the way from casual trips to serious expeditions. I don't think TAG is any exception, is it?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Phil Winkler » May 14, 2013 4:19 pm

TAG is definitely no exception. All women trips, vertical and horizontal, are not unusual at all. They also just held another Chickfest at Blue Spring. They hold many leadership positions, volunteers on the NSS News, etc., etc. Makes me proud to know them.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Amazingracer » May 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:TAG is definitely no exception. All women trips, vertical and horizontal, are not unusual at all. They also just held another Chickfest at Blue Spring. They hold many leadership positions, volunteers on the NSS News, etc., etc. Makes me proud to know them.

What Phil said.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Tlaloc » May 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Yeah, what he said but also the cave she describes as "Huahuas" is actually Hoya de las GUAGUAS. How about some proof reading?

I'm also tired of hearing about her monstrous tits. So what?
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Tlaloc wrote:So what?

I agree, so what? If the extent of two masses of fatty, lobulous, material makes their bearer worthy of any extraordinary recognition or esteem, then the patrons of my local Wal-Mart are certainly some of the most praisworthy individuals living. Indeed, they have cultivated (through much toil, great intelligence, careful study, specialized technique, and superior talent) some of the most pendulous and imposing edifices ever to dangle from the human chest. These constantly threaten to escape their cotton NASCAR sponsered containers and flood the floors with explicit evidence that some people are just plain old better than others.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » May 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Now that's funny!
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Chads93GT » May 14, 2013 7:51 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:
Tlaloc wrote:So what?

I agree, so what? If the extent of two masses of fatty, lobulous, material makes their bearer worthy of any extraordinary recognition or esteem, then the patrons of my local Wal-Mart are certainly some of the most praisworthy individuals living. Indeed, they have cultivated (through much toil, great intelligence, careful study, specialized technique, and superior talent) some of the most pendulous and imposing edifices ever to dangle from the human chest. These constantly threaten to escape their cotton NASCAR sponsered containers and flood the floors with explicit evidence that some people are just plain old better than others.

Best post of the millennium. Hands down. Close the forum. It will never get any better than this.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » May 14, 2013 8:28 pm

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby mgmills » May 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Extremeophile wrote:I just received the May edition of the NSS News and there's again an article by Amy in which there's the requisite boob description. I don't come from a place of experience, but I just don't understand why it's such a prominent part of every cave activity. I'm sure others would find it odd if all of my trip reports included a section on penis management issues. I'm not sure that climbing rope with big boobs or doing big vertical drops as a woman is a pioneering accomplishment.

In this article, and in other locations where she has published, there's some background framework that suggests caving, and especially vertical caving, is male dominated. She suggests that she regularly encounters the attitude that women simply aren't capable of doing these types of things and that she is proving these people wrong. I applaud her accomplishments but I certainly hope her experience with gender discrimination is unusual and isolated. Although I'm male, and my experience may be biased by that fact, I thought we had long since moved past any culture of male superiority in caving. Many of the most skilled and accomplished cavers (vertical or otherwise) that I know or know of are women, and many of them have been caving at or above the levels of their male peers for a very long time. I've been inspired and motivated by such greats as Pat Kambesis, Carol Vesely, Nancy Pistole, Pat Crowther, Barbara AmEnde, Erin Lynch, Heather Levy, Andrea Croskrey, Johanna Kovarik, Peg Palmer, Jan Conn, Jen Foote, Rene Ohms and Hazel Barton. These and many other women have been role models for many cavers, regardless of gender. In fact it's one of the things I like most about caving that we have, at least in my experience, such gender equality.

I am a female TAG Caver (since 1994). I never experienced any problems of being made to feel inferior because I was female. I never felt any gender discrimination. When I started caving I was never coddled. I was expected to keep pace with the group and I did. As I progressed in my caving I helped mentor a fair number of beginning male cavers and for several years was very active in teaching vertical caving to members of my grotto (both male and female).

However, one time there was a guy (on a trip where I was the only female) who suggested I go inside the cave and wait while he changed clothing. This was a summer trip to a cave involving a long hike where we were wearing shorts and tank tops. Everyone else including me was changing into caving gear at the entrance and no one thought anything about it. I told him to go find a private place if it bothered him as I was staying with the group. The rest of the guys backed me up and said he should be the one to move if the situation bothered him.

I think both male and female cavers should be treated equally. There are strong and weak cavers of both sexes. In my opinion "sticking out and hanging down parts" are just a part of who we are. :yikes: If you have 'em you manage 'em.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to On Rope!