Best socks for wet conditions

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Best socks for wet conditions

Postby Caver John » Apr 24, 2013 8:25 am

Ill be backpacking in Arizona and will be crossing a creek many times per day. Depth between ankle and waste deep, temps in the 90's.
what are the most comfortable socks to backpack in while wet?
I normally where smart wool, but I believe polypropylene holds less water.
I have waterproof sealskinz which are very comfortable but ill be in water deeper than the sock so waterproof is not what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have neoprene socks that are not waterproof and that fit well, ie; no seams.?

Also, I'm debating whether to try to get away with wearing my merrel water shoes instead of my goretex boots for obvious reasons, but the pack weight and lack of ankle support might be an issue.

Thanks for any input
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Re: Best socks for wet conditions

Postby driggs » Apr 24, 2013 8:34 am

The Seirus Neosock is the best neoprene sock I've found. While it has a stitched seam, I've never ever been conscious of it while wearing it. They're much more durable than cheapo neoprenes, and vastly more comfortable than SealSkinz. I wear them "naked" in wellies for long long caving trips with occasional deep water, and wear them with a thick smartwool hiking sock overtop in Joop Boots when there will be extended wet and dry hiking.

driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 24, 2013 8:56 am

I use the NRS Neoprene Socks. I wear a thin capeline liner with them. I have been pleased with this set up for years. I wear them on 99% of my cave trips. I have never tried the Serius Neosock, but they look nice, too.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Caver John » Apr 24, 2013 9:15 am

I tried on the Nrs hydroskin sock and it was very uncomfortable. The large wouldn't fit over my heel and the xl was way too sloppy. The sealskinz fit me like a glove but I'm not sure if they offer a non waterproof version.
I saw the serius neosock but didn't pick it up while I had the chance.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » May 4, 2013 10:24 am

I don't think your feet will dry in neoprene, and some polypropylene socks give me 'rugburn'. Maybe just carry a second pair of normal socks? Or bring good sandals and a small towel?
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby LukeM » May 6, 2013 12:56 pm

I'd just wear some thin merino hiking socks and light, breathable, quick-drying hiking shoes. If you're in summer temps it's best not to fight the water and have quick drying gear. Neoprene socks in 90 degree temps will just give you feet stank and fungus cultures.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 6, 2013 2:28 pm

Are you going to Aravaipa Canyon? I went there in March last year and just wore ordinary hiking sox that I bought at REI. Much like these:
http://www.rei.com/product/644528/wigwa ... crew-socks
They worked just fine. My feet weren't cold or anything. Though I only hiked something like 6 miles, so maybe that's not a good enough test for you. But plantar faciitis was the only problem I had with my feet on that hike.

You might think of bringing a snake bite kit. There was that thread here recently about snake bites and how a snake bite kit really can potentially save a life. And there are snakes in Aravaipa Canyon (and of course, much of the rest of AZ, too).
Rattler by Squirrel Girl cbk, on Flickr
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » May 6, 2013 4:29 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:You might think of bringing a snake bite kit. There was that thread here recently about snake bites and how a snake bite kit really can potentially save a life.

Don't be too sure about that. The concept of a snake bite kit is outdated, and the medical profession generally recommends lay people do not attempt to incise, constrict or suction around the bite area. See this article or google search for others.

There was a recent news article crediting the use of a snake bite kit as saving a hunter. However the report seems to hype the use of something which is - at best - a placebo. When I mentioned this, our Cavedoc commented that if you're lucky it's a waste of time. They can actually make things worse. Something about the suction distorting tissue and preventing the venom leaking out by itself.

And now back to your regular program...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Anonymous_Coward » May 7, 2013 9:33 am

Well, you haven't really said if you are going to Aravaipa, but if you are going there you don't really need socks at all. Just wear tevas or chacos, I think you'll be much happier. If the temps are in the 90s or above, any socks will do. When I have done that hike, I spend most of the day in the water just to stay cool enough. We used to hike this trail when it was 105-110 out. At those temps, you can soak yourself and all your clothes and you will be completely dry in 30-45 minutes. The trail is easy, the main challenge is just staying wet and cool. If you must wear boots and socks, I would just wear some kind of synthetic that will drain and dry.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Caver John » May 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes it was Aravaipa! What am amazing place! A true oasis in the middle of desert.
I ended up wearing underarmour socks and believe it or not the water was a godsend!
My feet stayed nice a cool all day, no hotspots or blisters. Thank you all for the input and I recommend this trip to anyone.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Rebecca » Aug 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I got a pair of Darn Tough AT trail socks for hiking. Just wore them through a soaking wet cave (my feet were pretty much submerged for 5-6 hours) and my feet didn't get cold or chaffed at all (and I was wearing my ancient work boots which have little to no padding). They weren't any worse for the wear--then again, the ranger working where I got them wore an identical pair for a week straight hiking the AT and they were fine. I personally highly recommend them:D
Rebecca
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum