Pro Tips

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Pro Tips

Postby Adventurer » Apr 22, 2013 11:55 pm

Wondering what elite tips people have for repairing gear,modifying gear,protecting gear,etc.mine is...

Protip:Save your flashlight/headlamp lens by buying a protective shield for a cellphone and cutting it to fit.
Adventurer
Occasional Poster

Name: Ryan

Re: Pro Tips

Postby Leclused » Apr 23, 2013 9:14 am

make protective cover for al your tools (digging, survey, first aid kit, photo camera,...).

One example: the battery powered drill.
In our club we make 2 protections. One bag made of neoprene (old wetsuit) to fit in the drill while transporting and a second one from truck canvas to protect the drill while in use. But make sure that you make some ventilation holes on the correct places in the canvas :-)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 23, 2013 9:44 am

Leclused wrote:make protective cover for al your tools (digging, survey, first aid kit, photo camera,...).

In our club we make 2 protections. One bag made of neoprene (old wetsuit) to fit in the drill while transporting and a second one from truck canvas to protect the drill while in use. But make sure that you make some ventilation holes on the correct places in the canvas :-)

Do you have any photos? The plastic case that comes with the rotary hammer is completely impractical. I made my own out of blue foam pad and duct tape, but it's a bit bulky. Neoprene sounds like maybe a better option. Do you use Aquaseal to glue it together? I don't use a cover when drilling, but keeping mud and rock flour out might prolong the drill's life, though I wouldn't want to add much bulk or weight.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 23, 2013 10:03 am

Use a pelican laptop case for a hammer drill. We do. But we are dealing with water quite a bit.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

Chads93GT wrote:Use a pelican laptop case for a hammer drill. We do. But we are dealing with water quite a bit.

Yeah, I can see the need for a Pelican case in MO, but I'm using mine in relatively dry caves so I just need some padding. I doubt a rotary hammer would fit in a laptop case.
For dome climbs and other heavy-use drilling trips I have a Bosch 11536C (36V Li-ion) http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=11536C-2.
I recently got a Bosch PS130 (12V Li-ion) http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS130-2A. I find that I can install roughly two 3/8" bolts per battery, which is a nice option when I know I may just need a couple of anchors and don't want to carry the heavier drill. This 12V drill is roughly 1/3 the size and weight.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby hunter » Apr 23, 2013 10:58 am

I made a neoprene cover (cut up fishing waders) that slips over my bosch and is designed to stay on while the drill is used. I stole the idea from another caver I saw with one. I used Aqua seal to glue it together along with velcro for closing it once it is on and for securing a vent flap. The drill can overheat in this setup if I am digging in a warm dry cave but it works fine for anchors when there is time for it to cool down. So far the drill has survived being tossed in a pack and carried through quite a few caves.

I don't have any photos on hand but could probably take some. Derek, if you don't have scrap neoprene on hand I still have a bag with most of the waders I cut up left.
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 23, 2013 11:53 am

Our Milwaukee m28 cordless rotary hammer drill plus two batteries and micro shaving gear all fits in our pelican laptop case actually.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Apr 24, 2013 3:41 am

Extremeophile wrote:
Leclused wrote:make protective cover for al your tools (digging, survey, first aid kit, photo camera,...).

Do you have any photos? The plastic case that comes with the rotary hammer is completely impractical. I made my own out of blue foam pad and duct tape, but it's a bit bulky. Neoprene sounds like maybe a better option. Do you use Aquaseal to glue it together? I don't use a cover when drilling, but keeping mud and rock flour out might prolong the drill's life, though I wouldn't want to add much bulk or weight.

Here are some pics of the canvas cover to use while drilling.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Leclused/B ... 7598984882
https://picasaweb.google.com/Leclused/B ... 3201151298
https://picasaweb.google.com/Leclused/B ... 6231453378

When I'm over the clubhouse I'll make some pics from the neoprene one. I'm not sure if aquaseal is used, because I haven't made them :grin:
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby potholer » Apr 25, 2013 5:53 am

For protecting a drill for carrying to/from digs in a dry cave, I've used an old wetsuit jacket.

The drill was first placed in a heavyweight polythene bag to keep it clean, and then inserted business-end-first into one of the jacket arms. The jacket was then folded round and the first arm (including drill) placed into the second arm.
The body and arms were chopped down appropriately to avoid excess material while giving decent padding.

This method involved no effort to make, but was secure on the drill and easy to open, and gave double padding on the bulk of the drill.
The drill (Metabo 14.4V - very effective and durable) wasn't used with a front handle and was fairly L-shaped, so easily went a decent distance into the arm.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Apr 25, 2013 10:56 am

Bosch and Hilti rotary hammers fit well in a Sink (large) Swaygo pack. It is still a good idea to make a soft case for it out of neoprene or closed cell foam for inside the Swaygo. Learned this one in China.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

Extend the life of your knee pads by coating them with tool dip (http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip). You can find it a local hardwear stores for about $7 a can.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby gindling » Apr 26, 2013 9:24 am

Here is another use for Tool Dip, the clear kind. Keep those instruments safe and clean!

Take your two instruments, clean with acetone, add velcro or double sided tape to each backside and stick em together. I recently began to color the two sides with magic marker so its easier to know which side is which in cave. I run a small bead of silicone over the seam (I used to use electrical tape but the solvent in the Tool Dip made it gummy), attach a bit of fishing line for holding to the two brass rings and put a small strip of duct tape over the two lenses.
Dip in the Tool Dip.
If the Tool Dip is too thick the proper thinner to use is xylene which also helps in keeping bubbles down which are of course much easier to see since its clear. It will look all bumpy and snotlike but as it dries it pulls itself together and makes a nice smooth jacket of plastic around your instruments. Cut around the duct tape over the lenses and remove. I then cut off the fishing line and clean up around the brass rings so they move freely and silicone any gaps and attach my cord of choice.
I have had numerous people use these in a survey and no one has had any problems with visibility or anything. If needed it peels off very nicely and leaves no residue behind.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 26, 2013 10:02 am

Nice work, gindling! But, doesn't the stacked setup obscure shots when looking under the compass (downward shots) and when looking on the right side of the clino? I've never tried it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby gindling » Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am

As far as I've seen, no. But that all depends on how good your lead man is in setting stations!
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum