Supplys

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Supplys

Postby plicpriest1 » Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Scott, I love the vidpic.
Caver Dan yes it has been quite a while! Ya I just need to get to a grotto. I just dont want to be one of the undependable types. I would like to be productive in the world of caves. Speaking of which: whats the latest in the canyon? Any planned trips to Huckys in the near future :big grin: ?
plicpriest1
Prolific Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 60892

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 25, 2013 10:30 pm

There's a WCP meeting this Saturday at 10 am at Cave of the Winds. I'm leading a trip to Huccys after (hopefully around 11). We've been working on replacing all the fixed anchors and ropes in the Canyon. You're welcome to join if you like. Last weekend we replaced 9 ropes in Huccys (~450 feet), and this weekend we'll replace another 3 ropes (~170 feet) and measure and label all the new ropes. You don't need vertical gear to do the trip, but it would be an opportunity to see how it's done.

Check out the links under the Williams Canyon section for detailed trip reports, but the last trip report hasn't been written yet:
http://caveanchors.org/ProjectAreas.htm

I'll be driving down through Castle Rock if you want to carpool.

Derek
303-589-4469
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby gindling » Apr 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Just looking over your rope inventories. Nice work! Very thorough! I wish more caves had info like that. Where did you get the info for the torque for SRT bolts?
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 26, 2013 7:59 am

gindling wrote: Where did you get the info for the torque for SRT bolts?

I placed most of them. A torque wrench was used for most ... a carefully calibrated forearm for the rest. Those I didn't place were retorqued where possible.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gindling » Apr 26, 2013 9:34 am

I meant, how much torque did you put on the bolts and how did you find out how much torque to apply?
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

gindling wrote:I meant, how much torque did you put on the bolts and how did you find out how much torque to apply?

Oh, got it. Most expansion bolts (sleeve and wedge types) need to be torqued to between 20 and 30 ft-lbs. The bolts I've used all have technical data sheets available with these specifications.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby plicpriest1 » Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Derek,
Sorry I missed your post. I was actuall poking around lower deep creek area. Coffee pot road is open to the private property enterance with the antlers is at. A 4 weel drive could probably have gone further. The wife and myself needed to get outside and do some camping for a few days. We wanted to get to BAD cave, but I came to the conclusion that I am far to out of shape at this point.

Brian
plicpriest1
Prolific Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 60892

Postby Extremeophile » Apr 29, 2013 5:38 pm

plicpriest1 wrote:Derek,
Sorry I missed your post. I was actuall poking around lower deep creek area. Coffee pot road is open to the private property enterance with the antlers is at. A 4 weel drive could probably have gone further. The wife and myself needed to get outside and do some camping for a few days. We wanted to get to BAD cave, but I came to the conclusion that I am far to out of shape at this point.

Brian

No problem. There's a little more rigging work needed in Huccys yet. Apparently 3 trips isn't enough time to replace 17 ropes when you have to be out by 5 pm. Might go back May 11 to replace the final 3 ropes.

I surveyed and drew a new map of BAD a couple of years ago. Let me know if you want a copy and some background information. It's about 500' up a north facing slope from the creek, so it's probably still a slog through snow. There's a blowing lead in the back that needs a small person to push.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!