Huge Bookstore Sale! But only if you live overseas?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Huge Bookstore Sale! But only if you live overseas?

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 20, 2013 11:32 am

The NSS bookstore is offering international cavers major discounts (~50% off retail) and free shipping on several NSS-published books. http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?top ... #msg196373

Oddly enough, stateside NSS grottos and members have not been offered the same or a similar deal. What's up with that? :huh: Looks like you'll have to pretend to be "an international caving friend" to receive the special discounts from your bookstore. :frymyhide:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Huge Bookstore Sale! But only if you live overseas?

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Found this post on the NSS Facebook page:

"There was an announcement that was distributed by The Speleogenesis Scientific Network yesterday, you can find it here: http://www.speleogenesis.info/ftp/SGN_D ... CH2013.pdf As you can see from the advertisement, you must purchase the books as a package in order to receive the 50% discount. But, not to worry Amy-- when you receive your May NSS News, you will find an advertisement specifically for NSS members. We will also announce it here on Facebook on May 1. Rest assured, there are plenty of copies of these books to go around!"
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby ohiocaver » Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Oddly, sadly, this seems to tie quite nicely to my recent post on the Publications page about the JOURNAL of CAVE and KARST STUDIES's misguided love of international articles at the expense of space for dues-paying, US-based NSS grotto members.
What is with NSS trying to be an international organization? Is this something we'll hear about at the next Convention in Ship? I've long maintained that NSS utterly neglects the local grotto. You've pinpointed yet another example...even if we can get the benefits offered those overseas by waiting another month until the best stuff is picked over. Parlez vous Caving?
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am

As Cheryl said, the whole reason there is a special is that they probably have a LOT of those particular books to get rid of before the move.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Publications