Crossville TN

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Crossville TN

Postby Bradford1843 » Mar 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey everyone!

My names Michael and I'm a Missouri Caver, most of our caves are horizontal so I come out to TAG to
Do more vertical. This week is my 4th year here, I've attended the FALL TAG cave Ins and am familiar with caves in that area, but does anyone know of any open pits closer to Fairfield Glades?? I'm currently up here until Wednesday and was hoping to drop some pits closer to this area before we head to Chattanooga on Thursday

Thanks!
Bradford1843
Infrequent Poster

Name: Michael Bradford
NSS #: 64222
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MSM Spelunkers

Re: Crossville TN

Postby speleo » Mar 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Ferris Pit is the deepest thing in the area( 251' ) and has a friendly owner. Sparta Sod Hole is not far away, very near the road, and 190' deep. However, it is not a TAG classic. It is broken by muddy ledges. I do not know the current entry status of The Gouffre, but it has an entrance drop of 241' and is not far from Crossville. The state has acquired some property in Grassy Cove in recent years so the caves there are off limits for who knows how long. :cavingrocks:
speleo
Frequent Poster

Postby Bradford1843 » Mar 26, 2013 8:00 am

Ferris Pit sounds great!! do you happen to know the contact information for the land owner??? I would love to see about going there.
Bradford1843
Infrequent Poster

Name: Michael Bradford
NSS #: 64222
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MSM Spelunkers

Postby gindling » Mar 26, 2013 10:17 am

He is one of the nicest landowners Ive met, and I think its actually Mr. Pherris. When I went to college in Cookeville that was the perfect rope gym. I never called him, I just showed up since I lived so close and he was always so friendly and accommodating, just dont let the cows out and watch yourself on the electric gate. The first time we went he said to drive past the red barn and take a left at the brown cow, and holy $#!* if that cow wasn't exactly where it was supposed to be. There is also Spade Hole which is a 160? (I dont have my TCS handy) but my friends and I have looked and looked and never found it. The GPS point is bad and the pit was covered with some sheet metal or tin roofing we were told and probably has a lot of leaves and such over it by now. Good luck!

You could also head west from Crossville to France Mountain, there are a couple of good 100+ pits there, one sink has four parallel pits in it, France Mountain Triple Pot.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions