Spring VAR

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 16, 2006 9:49 am

hewhocaves wrote:What did you do to your hands?
I had carpal tunnel surgery. Right hand Jan 9, left hand Feb 6. When I talked with my hand therapist about caving.... Well first off, she didn't understand. But then she had me try wall pushups. They stress my hands. I think I will try and do 2-3 wall pushups several times a day. I'm sure it will be good for me. I doubt I'll be caving at VAR, but maybe one day before too many months go by. I'm seriously bummed that I still frequently wake up with a numb left hand. :sad:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby hewhocaves » Apr 16, 2006 9:54 am

ow! that sucks... especially since i think i'm heading down the same road. (so why am i typing?)

anyway, it's looking good for me and VAR. barring any last minute problems, i should be there :-)

john
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 18, 2006 4:17 pm

So, folks, is anyone going on a cave trip without too much crawling? I need to do *some* exercise with my hands, but not too much. Maybe just a little clambering?
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 24, 2006 9:53 am

Nobody's answered me........

:cry:

Nobody wants to go caving with me. Wahh. I just got invited to a party Saturday night. At a much shorter drive than Grand Caverns. On the other hand, there'll probably be more debauchery at VAR? <hopefully>
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Doggies?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 25, 2006 12:14 pm

Are dogs allowed at VAR? There's someone who might or might not make VAR, but can only come if he can bring his dog. It doesn't say on the website.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 25, 2006 12:41 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:Nobody wants to go caving with me. Wahh.

I'll go with you. But I don't know the caves in the area that well. And can't recommend one without too much crawling. Well, Grand Caverns ain't got much crawlin'.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby hewhocaves » Apr 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:Nobody's answered me........

:cry:

Nobody wants to go caving with me. Wahh. I just got invited to a party Saturday night. At a much shorter drive than Grand Caverns. On the other hand, there'll probably be more debauchery at VAR? <hopefully>

I'm definaitely going now, and i want to do something big so I can try out my new Apex.

But like Scott, I don't know the caves there, either.

And i'm all for debauchery :) I have to get my share in before the long dark tea-time of grad school.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 26, 2006 9:08 am

I just got back from Hand Therapy and a visit to my surgeon. He proclaimed, "You're not normal." Yeah, so what else is new.

I told him I was hoping to go caving for the first time this weekend, but I was looking to challenge my hands, but not too much. He thought that was a good idea.

Are we gonna get a guidebook? Can Scott, John, and I go on our own little cave trip?
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby VACaver » Apr 28, 2006 8:32 am

"Are dogs allowed at VAR? There's someone who might or might not make VAR, but can only come if he can bring his dog. It doesn't say on the website."

I read somewhere that pets are NOT allowed. I wish I could remember where I saw it..
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby Jep » Apr 28, 2006 8:47 am

Dogs have been allowed at Grand Caverns at past VARs. Clean up after them and they will be okay. I have one friend that is bringing her dogs and another friend with PMG that brings his dog regularly. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 28, 2006 8:58 am

Thanks, Jep. Today was supposed to be my day off work, but there's a deadline on something that didn't get done yesterday. So here I am reviewing proposals.

:panic:

I'll probably still make it over tonight. Will probably head over after rush hour. Got a good cave in mind for me, as I test my poor gimpy hands after carpal tunnel surgery? Not too much crawling?

C ya!
B
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby VACaver » May 1, 2006 5:36 pm

Had a great time at Spring VAR!

Did a candle trip into Grand on Friday night, 3-D Maze on Saturday, and Glade on Sunday (nice and muddy).

Despite freezing my tail off (28 degrees on Friday night), I still had fun.

Saturday evening's presentations were excellent! Dave Socky did an outstanding job with his short film on the new section of Grand. And the food on Saturday night was, simply put, the best I've ever had at a VAR.

This VAR set the standard for others to follow (except for the cold temps).
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby hewhocaves » May 1, 2006 7:26 pm

yes.. the Dinner was incredible. all weekend we were skeptical about the cost for dinner, wondering if cavers could pull off a dinner worth the cost.

the answer is a resounding 'YES'.

the presentations were great, and it was awesome to have GC availiable for us at our leisure. I have photos from the cave here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hewhocaves ... 122249129/

A big round of thanks to GC for being such wonderful hosts.

Oh, and I can categoricaly state that Squirrel Girl doesn't snore. LOL :question:
there ya go, SG. I started it :tonguecheek:

John
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nordicjw » May 1, 2006 8:49 pm

I had a great time at VAR. Any time I can go to an event as well planned and executed for $25, I'll be there. Thanks to Grand Caverns staff and the DC Grotto. :woohoo: :grin:
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 1, 2006 9:39 pm

To amplify the resonance of the kudos, accolades, and thanks .... :yeah that: :thanks:

380 friendly cavers, great programs on Saturday night (terrific film Jim and Dave!), good food, warm showers, and a beautiful day for caving. What more could we ask for? :banana:

Thanks guys! :waving:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events