Espey, Overall, Indian Grave Point Survey Maps??

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Espey, Overall, Indian Grave Point Survey Maps??

Postby CaveJunkie » Jan 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Well, I have been MIA from this site for some time now... Still plugging along in Public Health Emergency Preparedness and also in the Coast Guard... And also still trying to go caving when I can (which is definitely not often enough).

I am once again guiding a caving trip for some hard-working Coast Guardsmen from New Orleans sometime in Feb or March and I am looking for maps of Espey, Overall and IGP. NOT DIRECTIONS. Just the maps. I already know how to get to all these places so you can all spare yourself the typical "Contact the local grotto" response. :shhh: Anyway, I want to be able to show these servicemen and women a good time underground, teach them a few things about conservation and safety, and maybe show them how to read a map...

PM me please. If you are having your normal "We dont give out secrets to people we dont know" doubts, send me a message and I will give you my caving background if it makes you more comfortable.

Thanks,
James
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Name: James Woulfe
NSS #: 56791

Re: Espey, Overall, Indian Grave Point Survey Maps??

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jan 31, 2008 9:22 am

When I started caving, and was kicking around in Espey and IGP, I always found the maps in Barr's Caves of Tennessee to be quite adequate. Both maps are far from complete, but will get you around to the main points in each cave. The map of Overall in Barr is kind of bad, I was never sure if I was even in the right cave! For Espey and IGP, there are large sections of cave that are not on the maps, but for a trip for new cavers, I'm sure there is more than enough cave shown for you to have a good time. I used to blow up the maps on a Xerox and take them in the cave. Those crude 1950's maps were my guide to many hours of adventure. I think the IGP one is especially helpful. Hopefully Barr is still available in bookstores in TN. I got mine at Cumberland Transit on West End in Nashville. I'm sure now there are multitudes of Borders, Barnes and Nobles, etc. that might have Barr in stock!

For more detailed maps, I'm afraid the answer is the one you don't like: Contact the Nashville or TCB grotto.

Let me know if I can be of any help. You're talking about two of my favorite caves here!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby CaveJunkie » Jan 31, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks for the reply. I am currently on my 3rd copy of "Caves of Tennessee"... The binding wasn't quite designed for surviving hundreds of underground trips or being pulled out and shoved back into a back-pack over and over.

When I started caving back in 1998, my friend Ryan and I would pack up all our gear in my truck and just drive out to the area of the cave we were looking for, but since the locations in the book were not exact (and the internet was not much of a great caving resource back then), we would stop at some country store where the locals sat in their rocking chairs on the front porch and we would get directions from them. The directions we got from locals were always spot on, and being introduced to a nice older couple in Dekalb County who had an incredible cave on their property was a huge bonus, and being guided to a few other caves (Overall) made asking the locals the best way to find caves.

Problem is those same locals that could tell you where any of the caves were never had maps. The maps aren't a big deal. I have been to IGP and Espey probably over 500 times between the two... I almost feel that I could find my way out of Espey without any lights b/c I have been there so many times. Ryan and I used to use the hill as our own personal Stair-Stepper. Instead of going to the REC Center at MTSU we would go to Espey and try to find a new path, or maybe a room that we had somehow missed, and when we exited we would race up the hill. Whoever lost bought the beers. That was one hell of a workout!

IGP was the first cave I ever explored.
Espey, though, is my favorite.

Are you still in Middle TN? Would you like to join our little Coast Guard group? As of right now it looks like Feb 16 is IGP and Feb 17 is Espey...

For that matter, anyone else that would like to join us is also welcome! Just reply to me on the board or send me a PM. :grin:
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm

You might want to consider this book:

Descriptions of Tennessee Caves
This update to Barr's 1961 classic, again published by the Tennessee Division of Geology, contains information on 312 new caves, as well as a few corrections or updated descriptions of caves in Barr. Includes illustrated introductory sections on paleontology and saltpeter mining. Maps of many of the caves; two foldouts. Updated state cave-distribution map in back pocket.

Larry E. Matthews

You can email the NSS Bookstore and ask them if the maps you want is included in this book. nss at caves dot org

http://nssbookstore.org/index.php?mode= ... er=01-0055
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby CaveJunkie » Jan 31, 2008 11:39 pm

Thanks... Have that too. Not in there either, unfortunately... :shrug:
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 3, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for the invite, but I am (alas) very far from Middle TN these days. Have fun!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby RaineCarr » Feb 4, 2008 10:10 am

Was at IGP literally yesterday. It was outstanding. Looks a little worn, a bit of damage from use, vandalism, and irresponsibility... but it was a great trip. I live in Nashville, and while I have one Sunday off every other week... I would love to go again! Have light.. will travel!

~Raine :kewl:
RaineCarr
New Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Feb 5, 2008 12:23 pm

A really beautiful, well-detailed map of Indian Grave Point Cave exists. I believe it was drafted by David Parr. I have it framed and on my wall at home. You should be able to get a copy from the TN Cave Survey.

Ron Zawislak has been mapping Espy Cave for years and years, but I don't know if that map if finished yet. Why not email Ron and ask him.

I don't remember Overall Cave as being very long, but maybe we missed something. Although maps are always nice, I'm not sure how necessary one is for that cave.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby CaveJunkie » Feb 11, 2008 10:11 am

Larry E. Matthews wrote:A really beautiful, well-detailed map of Indian Grave Point Cave exists. I believe it was drafted by David Parr. I have it framed and on my wall at home. You should be able to get a copy from the TN Cave Survey.

Ron Zawislak has been mapping Espy Cave for years and years, but I don't know if that map if finished yet. Why not email Ron and ask him.

I don't remember Overall Cave as being very long, but maybe we missed something. Although maps are always nice, I'm not sure how necessary one is for that cave.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F

Thanks, Larry.

I don't need the maps for anything more that something to frame and post on a wall... I have been to both Espey and IGP so many times I could make it out without a light, if you know what I mean... Thanks for the info. I will try to email Ron before Friday.

Its been a pretty busy week. Missed getting blown away by the tornado by about a block.
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby CaveJunkie » Feb 11, 2008 10:13 am

RaineCarr wrote:Was at IGP literally yesterday. It was outstanding. Looks a little worn, a bit of damage from use, vandalism, and irresponsibility... but it was a great trip. I live in Nashville, and while I have one Sunday off every other week... I would love to go again! Have light.. will travel!

~Raine :kewl:

Hey Raine. Looks like we will be doing IGP on Sat or Sun. We could do Robinson Ridge on Sat if you are interested in joining us at IGP on Sun... Let me know if you are interested so we can solidify the schedule.

James
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby ladyv » May 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Hello I am a resident of Carthage Tn and I have been trying to find directions to the ESPEY cave forever. I have been 4 or 5 times but a different way everytime.I don't talk to the guy anymore who took me but I have wanted to go back so bad and share it with everyone who would enjoy it.I DO KNOW how to get to Auburntown road coming from Alexander so if anybody could please help me out the rest of the way I would greatly appreciate it more than anything. :woohoo: Thanks,Valerie if ya want you can email it to me also at valballinger@yahoo.com
ladyv
New Poster

Postby tncaver » May 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Cavejunkie,
All those caves are on private property. I hope you have permission to visit them. As far as IGP, if you know where to park and go over the fence,
it is an open cave. The landowners do not like to be asked about the cave. The other caves require permission.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bwood » Mar 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Dear Tncaver,

How serious is need for permission for Espey? Like, getting shot serious? How might I go about getting it? Thinking about leading a group there May 11. Also, to all readers, I've never been tp Espey, and would most appreciate a good map. I have been to IGP many times and have the good IGP map, and would most happily trade a copy for the good Espey map. I'm hoping to introduce my group to a new cave, and Espey looks wonderful. thank you so much
Bwood
bwood
Infrequent Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Mar 21, 2013 5:07 pm

There is a fairly good map of Espey Cave in Barr's "Caves of Tennessee". Maybe the NSS Library could copy that one page for you, if you asked them.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby bwood » Mar 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks. I have Barr's book. Maybe I'll just go with that.
bwood
Infrequent Poster

Return to Publications