Deaton's cave in Polk County

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Deaton's cave in Polk County

Postby pipewrench » Mar 10, 2013 9:34 am

Has anyone ever visited Deaton's Cave in Polk county GA? It is relatively close to my home according to the coordinates and the survey looks pretty interesting. I checked to make sure its not on the TAG closed cave list but wasn't sure if it was on private property or not.
Thanks
pipewrench
Occasional Poster

Name: Jeff
NSS #: 63959

Re: Deaton's cave in Polk County

Postby graveleye » Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am

I believe Deatons is on private property but every teenage in Polk County can attest that access is no problem. It's long been a party cave, even at one time was a honky tonk with a concrete dance floor. Further in it is muddy and well decorated as is typical of Polk Cty caves - with spray paint.

There is an interesting spring below the cave that was once used as a baptismal pool, at least that is what I've been told. There is a masonry wall around it.

It's been a long time since I've been there though so my memory is not all that good about it. I've been meaning to stop back by there for years.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby pipewrench » Mar 10, 2013 10:04 am

Well how far do you live from there? I would like to check it out since its kind of near me. It's over 100 miles for me one way to get to Walker or Dade county so I can't go as often as I'd like. If you would like to go message me, I want to get with a more experienced caver one day.
If I can figure out from the map the landowners house I'd like to offer to clean up inside the cave in exchange for access. Maybe they will go for it.
pipewrench
Occasional Poster

Name: Jeff
NSS #: 63959

Postby graveleye » Mar 12, 2013 1:04 pm

sorry, I'm about 70 miles from there so I can't just head up there on a whim.

No idea who owns that land, but it hasn't stopped anyone from visiting. I'm afraid that you're not going to be impressed with it, but you should drive by and stick your head in the entrance anyway.

Maybe if we do another cleanup at the other cave nearby, we can ride over to Deatons. They're pretty close to each other.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Shane S » Mar 12, 2013 3:42 pm

I didn't think it was on private property. I believe the county water authority owns the area. The pump house is fenced in but the cave isn't. I've been there more times than I can count and I also have a map. It was probably one of the first caves I went in as a child as I grew up in bike riding distance. The cave is not the greatest as vandalism has took an unfortunate role. There is a gray bat population as only 4 known caves in GA have this endangered bat. Please be mindful of that if you do enter and if you have visited any caves that may contain white nose please decontaminate anything brought into the cave. The entrance is a large room and there exist one more large room in the back. It is a very wet and muddy cave. You will enter a great room, at a glance the cave ends there. Look in the rear of that room and you will see a worm hole with about 3 inches of standing water and mud. This 10 foot belly slide is the portal to the rest of the cave, as there is probably around 800+ feet of cave to explore.

Enjoy. If you do go please post the latest condition of the cave and gray bat population.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Postby Shane S » Mar 12, 2013 3:45 pm

email me
shane_9276@yahoo.com
I live close to there and can probaby do trip if you really want to see it.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Postby Shane S » Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm

About a cleanup. I'd be more than glad to assist if someone could pull the correct strings and have it gated. Would make for a great SCCI property. It's just too much of a party cave for the hard labor fruits of a cleanup to last.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Mar 13, 2013 8:24 am

From what I understand that cave is even more of a party cave now that White River has been successfully gated.

I was there when the WRC cave gate was installed. Locals were driving up and yelling at us and getting upset for closing the cave. One guy said he was going to get the authorities involved or something something like that, he was that angry.

Apparently, a lot of Polk County folks just have to have an open cave to trash.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Shane S » Mar 13, 2013 9:53 am

The fact that WRC was next to the new high school probably didn't help it in saying the least. I was glad to see it gated too bad it didn't happen 20 years ago.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Postby Shane S » Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm

I will be taking a few people to Deatons cave this Saturday July 20th to show them around. Email me if interested. Exact time TBD.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Postby Shane S » Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

For those who asked who owns the land. The land has been purchased by A Southern Company and as of now is not posted.
Last edited by Shane S on Jul 16, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

cool, wish I could go with you. Be sure to take some pictures.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum