Fresh NSS members representing from Maryville, TN

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Fresh NSS members representing from Maryville, TN

Postby TheDude » Mar 6, 2013 1:26 pm

Hey guys, my family and I are happy to be new NSS members! I've been hitting caves over ten years now. Primarily climbing most of the year, then usually heading underground when the weather gets nippy. Recently I've been making quite a few trips down to TAG and have absolutely fell in love! Recently became an SCCi member, as well, and am looking forward to hitting Valhalla for the first time this weekend. Hope to get a trip to Ellison's together in the near future to check out Fantastic (wouldn't mind having a guide, if anyone is interested). If you're looking for an additional caver for your next trip, hit me up-- I'm well equipped, and have decent amount of experience. I live near Knoxville, and getting to TAG is no obstacle. Glad to be a member of such a great caving community!
TheDude
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jeremy Headrick
NSS #: 64816

Re: Fresh NSS members representing from Maryville, TN

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 6, 2013 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum... While you are visiting if you need a place to camp check out Cavers Paradise - www.caversparadise.com. It is owned by Maureen Handler, who is a member of the Sewanee Mountain Grotto and there are tons of caves nearby - Valhalla isn't too far either.

We have our grotto meetings the second Saturday of each month and our March meeting is this weekend, next door to the campground at Peter "Mudpuppy" Michaud's house... The meeting starts at 6pm central with a potluck dinner followed by the business at 7pm. Andy Zellner will be giving a presentation following the meeting.

There are quite a few of us who also have kiddos so we also do several kid friendly trips a year. The SMG also hosts a caver party over Labor Day Weekend at Cavers Paradise called Sewanee Mountain Cave Fest.

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby TheDude » Mar 6, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for the info on Caver's Paradise, Kelly-- we'll definitely include a stay on a future trip. Depending on when we get out of Valhalla, I'd love to try and make it to the grotto meeting. If you could keep me posted on some kid friendly trips, that would be awesome! My little ones are so very ecstatic to be members. I want to try to keep that momentum going for a lifetime. Do you guys have a mailing list?
TheDude
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 7, 2013 7:11 am

The address for the grotto meeting is 1164 Old Sewanee Rd, Sewanee, TN.

We do have a yahoo group for members. You can also find us on Facebook, search for Sewanee Mountain Grotto under groups. We post all meetings and trips on there also.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby TheDude » Mar 11, 2013 9:57 am

Thank you very, very much for the invite out to Cavers Paradise, Kelly! Couldn't have asked for anything better after Valhalla! Soon as we arrived Maureen had warm showers waiting! Wish we would have made it out in time for the grotto meeting, but next month I'll definitely be there. We were also able to hit up Mudpuppy's for welcomed post cave beers. Look forward to meeting you in the near future, and would love to join the Sewanee!
TheDude
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 11, 2013 10:34 am

Oh, that was YOU.... We were leaving just as y'all arrived... Sorry we didn't stay longer and chat with you... Next time...
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions