Merging two files into one in Compass

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Merging two files into one in Compass

Postby gindling » Mar 5, 2013 11:54 am

So I've got a .DAT file with numerous separate survey files. I am trying to get a lineplot of only two of those survey files combined so I can draft a map. The survey files I need are one days survey and then the next days hence the two separate ones that I would like to join. Is this possible?
I tried highlighting them both and clicking the "process and view selected" button but:
1. when you highlight a single survey file the "process and view selected" button goes gray and inactive though if you highlight the whole .DAT file it becomes active
2. I can only highlight one survey file at a time anyways

I also tried the "link files manually" under the RUN drop down menu but as above it only works with the whole .DAT file and not with just one or two of the survey files. So is there any way around this besides me manually reentering the two survey files into one as their own .DAT file?
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Re: Merging two files into one in Compass

Postby Bob Thrun » Mar 5, 2013 12:28 pm

Just use a text editor. You can combine the survey files or keep them separate and add to the MAK file. The Compass files are human-readable plain ASCII.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 5, 2013 1:14 pm

After running process and view cave a .plt file is generated with all of your surveys. The easiest way to export all or any portion of this data to a drafting program is to use the SVG Exporter program. Once you open the .plt file you can select the surveys you want to export using the survey tab.

If you prefer to export the line plot as a metafile (old-school method), you can use the Cave Viewer program. You can use the Complex Plot function to choose specific surveys you want to display and then use the Save Screen Image function to export.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby chac » Mar 5, 2013 1:56 pm

There are two ways to do this in Compass. Work with a copy of the original DAT file in case a mistake is made while editing. Probably the easiest way is to move the surveys around and delete or use the Exclusion flags on the rest of the surveys. Open the DAT copy, select "Edit" and then "Manipulate Surveys". A window will appear, we will work in the left pane.

Using the folder icon, select the DAT file copy (not the original), all the DAT Copy surveys will appear in that pane. Highlight each survey and use the arrows to the left to move the two surveys up to the top of the file order in this pane. As you are surveying into the cave, the first survey should be the first inbound survey, the second survey will be the survey that branches from it. Once done, delete all the rest of the surveys, now save.

[If you need those survey files later, keep them.
Open the DAT copy, note the surveys are now moved. Open the subsequent surveys you don't want to plot in the survey editor, add the "X" Exclusion flag for all the shots, save, repeat for all the rest of the unwanted surveys.]

You are done, Process and plot. If accurate station depth is important (usually is in any case), process your original DAT file (not the DAT copy you just worked on), check the depth of the first station of the first survey that is in the DAT copy. Write it down, close the original DAT file, Now open the DAT copy file, then open the first survey in the editor. Add a station before the first station. Make sure this station will tie into the rest of the station progression. For the "fake station" data, use the numeral "0" for the AZM. Length will be the exact depth of the station you wrote down earlier, INC will be -90. No need for LRUD's. Save, process, the DAT copy will show correct depths when you process this DAT copy file.

It sounds complicated, it really isn't. If you do this once, the next time you will have it done in less than a minute. PM me if you run into problems.

Jim
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby gindling » Mar 5, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Ill try this later tonight and see if I can get it to work. Im sure I'll have questions!
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 5, 2013 3:22 pm

gindling wrote:Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Ill try this later tonight and see if I can get it to work. Im sure I'll have questions!

Looks like 3 very different approaches to achieve the same result. I'm sure there are more possibilities, but be sure to let the advice providers know who the winner is. :argue:
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chac » Mar 5, 2013 4:14 pm

Derek is right, there are a lot of ways to reach the same goal. He has the more direct method if you are exporting an SVG file to import into a drawing program. I cross-posted on this thread with Derek's first post. I wasn't contesting his method.
Last edited by chac on Mar 5, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 5, 2013 4:18 pm

chac wrote:Derek is right, there are a lot of ways to reach the same goal. He has the more direct method is you are exporting an SVG file to import into a drawing program. I cross-posted on this thread with Derek's post. I wasn't contesting his method.

Too late now ... it's ON Jim! :big grin:
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gindling » Mar 5, 2013 10:09 pm

So I tried them all and they worked. Bob's was the first and took the longest seeing how I had to go and Google what ASCII was and try to figure out simple text style stuff, like zen computing, loved it.

I understood Chac's better and got the lineplot I wanted processed on Compass fairly quickly so I could export it the old way I know (print it out and draft it by hand, or export it to Inkscape?)

Derek's version worked just as quick and may have gotten me closer to my final goal but seeing how I have never used Inkscape before or any computer drafting program it is a bit daunting seeing all the options on the SVG exporter. But I was able to open the .plt file in the exporter and find my two corresponding surveys in the file tree and check the two boxes associated with them and click the "Exclude Sections/Surveys" button directly below and DONE. I now have a .SVG file ready to open in Inkscape and begin importing sketches... I think.

Thanks again to all three of you.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum