Lighting Question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lighting Question

Postby DaveWKC » Feb 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey guys - First Post!

Anyway... I have read quite a bit in the last few days about lights. Quite a bit of good information!
I am really seriously considering buying an El Speleo, however I currently own a Petzl NAO (and assorted MYO XP's, Tikka XP's, etc.) that have served me well exploring abandoned mines in the past.
What I am currently thinking is to get the El Speleo as my primary, and use 2 other Petzls as backups (maybe the NAO and the MYO XP?)
Is it worth upgrading to the El Speleo as my primary light? I would assume yes, as the NAO does not seem to be as bulletproof.

Just curious as to what others' opinions are.

Thanks!
Dave Walden
DaveWKC
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dave Walden
NSS #: 64859

Re: Lighting Question

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm

kind of a ford or chevy question. Sten light, Scurion, El Speleo, all are good quality pricey lights. second string would be Fenix HP10, Apex (dry environments), Petzl Duo LED.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DaveWKC » Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm

wyandottecaver,

Thank you for your reply.
To clarify, what I am asking is more along the lines of should I buy an El Speleo and use it as my primary, or try and use my NAO?
DaveWKC
Infrequent Poster

Postby Smells_Familiar » Feb 25, 2013 10:42 pm

I've never used or seen a NAO in action, but it should be plenty bright. I would, however, be wary of submerging it under water. Why not try it out a few times and see if you like it before spending another big wad of cash...and then finding there's an even "better" light, and then an even "better" one.

I've evolved into someone who wants to keep my kit streamlined. I do love gear, but I hate clutter more. Clutter drives me crazy, especially when I've got a lot of money invested in things that just sit there.
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby DaveWKC » Feb 26, 2013 11:38 am

All,
I think I have my answer.
The light is only IPX4 rated, so I would be hesitant to really rely on it for a primary light, as I have no idea what kind of situations I will find myself in whilst caving.
I originally bought it for biking, trails and some other more specific uses where I would not want a helmet mounted light. So I will still use it as a primary light for those purposes.

I think I will invest in a proper caving specific light, and mount it to my helmet.b Now, just a matter of which one. So far I am liking the El Speleo and the Stenlight S7 Premium.

Thanks for the help, Guys!
-Dave
DaveWKC
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum