New Alabama Caver

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New Alabama Caver

Postby Snot_Otter » Feb 4, 2013 3:22 pm

Hey Y'all,

My name is Will and I am a senior at the University of Alabama. I am new to the whole caving scene but I am very interested in any advice you might have, especially about easily accessible entry level caves in AL. I am an experienced hiker, scuba diver, and whitewater guide as well. After a recent trip to Stephens Gap Cave in Jackson County, AL I decided to learn more and joined the NSS. I would greatly appreciate any advice on gear, repelling courses, anything and everything!

Thanks,
Will
Snot_Otter
Infrequent Poster

Name: Will Dodd

Re: New Alabama Caver

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 4, 2013 4:35 pm

Welcome, Will. You might want to join the Birmingham Grotto. It is a good place to learn all that stuff.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Snot_Otter » Feb 5, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks, Phil! I plan on attending the next meeting in Birmingham. Could anyone suggest any entry level caves in Alabama? I am interested in doing Limrock Blowing and a few others, but don't have much info other than what I read on here and a few other sites.
Snot_Otter
Infrequent Poster

Postby Myrna Attaway » Feb 7, 2013 12:51 am

We wont tell, but we will show you. It is our belief that the single most important thing a new caver needs is experienced cavers to shepard them through the learning process.
Myrna Attaway
Frequent Poster

Postby Snot_Otter » Feb 7, 2013 12:55 am

Myrna Attaway wrote:We wont tell, but we will show you. It is our belief that the single most important thing a new caver needs is experienced cavers to shepard them through the learning process.

Even better! It's such a relief to find a community of people so willing to teach others about their passion. :cavingrocks:

-Will
Snot_Otter
Infrequent Poster

Postby CoryGraeff » Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

I live in Northern AL. In Huntsville.
There's a system of 5 caves I'm heading too next weekend hopefully.
I'm taking a group of friends who are interested in spelunking, and its an intermediate level cave.
If you want you could come along!
CoryGraeff
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions