Cave Suit Recommendation

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave Suit Recommendation

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 9, 2013 9:37 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:
Extremeophile wrote:I'm less impressed ... 3.5 hours per trip is hardly enough time to get out of the entrance zone. You must be bouncing a bunch of pits, and I'm not sure that each yo of a yo-yo counts as another cave trip. I don't see a bunch of survey getting done in those 3.5 hour trips.

Ha! I was WAITING for someone to call me out on what has essentially been 2 solid years of "Holy crap, I live in TAG now, let's just run through 400+ ft deep caves all the time." I used to manage 400 hours a year, now I'm racking up 4-hour trips. Go figure.

In fairness, SuperDerek, I did exclude two weeklong Lechuguilla expeditions from that figure, since we're trying to determine coverall longevity here. And, since I live about 10 minutes from several major caves, I've managed about a dozen weeknight survey trips in that time period at 2-3 hours a clip. I didn't realize cave survey only counts when you're pulling an all-nighter; I didn't realize it's only caving if it's horrible. I must just be a pit-bopper, then.

But, seriously, why are we talking about this? I'm trying to help this dude shop for coveralls, and suddenly we're dissecting whether I'm surveying awful stream passages two dozen weekends a year (like 2008-2009) or whistle-dicking my way to the bottom of two dozen deep caves a year (like 2011-2012). WHOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAAARES

Fair enough. I was just worried about you man. Those stats concerned me. You are showing a trend of going more frequently and not lasting as long. I thought maybe there was some deeper psychological or medical problem. I see now you're just adapting to a new environment.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Caver John » Feb 11, 2013 10:02 am

I love my Landjoff suit! Internal suspenders are a great feature. Fits me perfectly. And the fabric is very waterproof
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby LukeM » Feb 11, 2013 10:46 am

Caver John wrote:I love my Landjoff suit! Internal suspenders are a great feature. Fits me perfectly. And the fabric is very waterproof

I find that with the suspenders I can either have them tight enough that the crotch rides uncomfortably high, or loosen them some and have them keep slipping off my shoulders when I contort through passages.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 11, 2013 10:54 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:WHOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAAARES

Members of the Vicarious Cavers Grotto
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby elithecavedog » Feb 15, 2013 5:20 pm

In southeastern caves where the temperatures are often over 60 degrees, all a lot of cave suits accomplishes is excess sweat. In cases where you may be moving very slow such as a cave survey, or if you are very cold-n
atured, cave specific suits may have a role, Also, if you cave in more northerly climes, or in all water caves, the various caver designed suits can be very useful. but for ordinary southern caving I recommend a traditional coverall with a high polyester content, or blue jeans and jacket. Over the years I have got up to 5 years of wear from such before a desire not to offend other cavers caused me to get new attire.
elithecavedog
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 13833

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum