2006 NSS Convention, August 7 to 11, Bellingham, Washington

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2006 NSS Convention, August 7 to 11, Bellingham, Washington

Postby CaverScott » Sep 22, 2005 8:08 am

The 2006 convention will be hosted at beautiful Western Washington University the week of August 7-11. :kaver: The university is located between Puget Sound and the Cascade Mountains, just outside of downtown Bellingham. Built with nature and beauty in mind this will be a stunning backdrop for the 2006 NSS Convention.

Situated between Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia, the spectacular natural environment of this region stretches from the San Juan Islands to Mt. Baker. Bellingham area and community offers recreational experiences from the relaxing to the exhilarating.

A note on caving internationally: Bellingham is only a short road trip from Canada and many of our best caving opportunities are across the border. Be aware that some caving and activities in the region may require crossing the U.S. / Canadian border. To do this you will need to have the appropriate identification. This includes either:

A Passport, or
A certified copy of your birth certificate and current photo identification issued by a government agency. The seal on the birth certificate MUST be raised, or it will be rejected.

http://www.nss2006.org/
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Bellingham, Here we come

Postby CaverScott » Sep 22, 2005 8:11 am

Well, it took me about a month but I FINALLY got my two Delta Sky Miles award tickets booked. :D Once I had that nailed down, I forked over the bucks for my ticket so the Fee family is ready to fly in August assuming Delta is still operating then. :shock:

Maybe we should start planning for the 2nd annual Discussion Board party? :?:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby van » Mar 12, 2006 2:12 pm

Scott, thanks for starting this thread and for letting everyone know you're coming. Convention staff has been remiss in not joining this thread, so let me start! See Scott's post for the Convention website, which now has a lot more info on it than it did back then. A brief summary of what you'll find on the website - and, of course, at Convention:

- An exceptionally beautiful and deluxe venue for sessions at Western Washington University

- Spectacular scenery, hiking, climbing, sea and river kayaking, diving, and on & on; Bellingham is a vacation paradise

- Perfect weather, most likely; this could be the first Convention in a long time without a rain/flood/wind disaster (although earthquake is always a possibility around here - that would be a first!)

- Limestone and lava tube caving in Washinton; exceptional limestone caving just across the border in Canada

- Three parties: Monday Howdy Party, Tuesday with Dangerous Dick and the Duckbusters, Wednesday with the Terminal Syphons.

Van Bergen
Chair of Vice, 2006 NSS Convention
van
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » Apr 5, 2006 8:57 am

Hey I just registered! I am so stoked!

This will be my first visit to the NW corner of the US.

I have gotten my passport renewed so I can drive up to Vancouver too.
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

NSS 2006 Convention website and discussion board

Postby michmcco » Apr 17, 2006 11:36 am

If you haven't checked it out already, please be sure to go to
http://www.nss2006.org for all the information about the convention. The website is updated twice weekly as we get new information.

We also have a discussion board for the convetion:
http://www.nss2006.com/msgboard/

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you in August.
Michael McCormack
NSS 2006 Convention Chairman
michmcco
Infrequent Poster

Postby JonSidneyB » Apr 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Just curious,

How large of previous conventions been in turnout?
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Attendance at conventions over the last few years has ranged from about 900 to about 1800 (I think it is what we had in 1998 in Sewanee TN :goodjob:).

A lot seems to depend on the location of the Convention. How well the host group promotes the convention seems to make a difference as well. :rock band:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby michmcco » Apr 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Currently we have an expected attendance of about 750-850. However our registration rate is higher than normal for that expected attendance.

This could mean that either people are registering early because they are planning ahead, or we are going to get more people.

Either way we expect a very fun and exciting convention.

Thanks
Michael McCormack
NSS 2006 Convention Chairman
michmcco
Infrequent Poster

Postby JonSidneyB » Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm

I take it then that last minute registration is the norm. Thanks for the information.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Yup -

Postby CaverScott » Apr 27, 2006 7:57 am

JonSidneyB wrote:I take it then that last minute registration is the norm. Thanks for the information.

For the most part, yes. :caver:

The pre-registration discount is prime motivating factor though. There will be a flurry (flood) of registrations during the last week or two as the discount ends. Cavers like to hold onto there money as long as possible you know.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Apr 27, 2006 12:27 pm

I'm planning on coming (only my 2d convention in 29 years of caving!) and my wife is checking on plane tickets. Fortunately I'm going to the biannual BCCR rescue training on Vancouver Island the week prior, and Phil Whitfield is helping me with transpo on that end and then coming down to convention himself. So I get two weeks of caving, straight! I have cousins in Everett/Snohomish area and plan to also hook up with Jim Chester, so this should be a very fun time.
I'm just taking my time filling out my registration :rofl:

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Hotel and Room Information for the procrastinators

Postby CaverScott » Apr 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Make sure to check exact rates with the individual hotels for the week of Convention and let them know you’re with the NSS 2006 Convention.

We are informed there are several other events occurring in Bellingham the weekends before and after Convention, so please make your reservations early or you may find yourself without a room to sleep in!!

But, why spend all that money on a hotel when you can be right next to sessions and socializing with other cavers in one of our fantastic dorm rooms.

Can’t wait to see you all there!
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaveStar » Jun 9, 2006 6:54 pm

And remember that if you want a dorm room you need to act promptly. They're going fast. They should be a fun option becuase they're cheap ($135 if memory serves), nice quality, and right there where everything is happening. You can get linen service or bring your own sheets and towels. We're told that the wild bunch will be in Van's part of the dorm. If you are incurably wild, please self-identify and we'll tell you exactly where to go!
CaveStar
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 9, 2006 11:02 pm

I finally registered! :kewl:

Anyone else going with the "budget" accommodation (camping)? :question:

If so, I'll see y'all there... :happy: :rock band: :bananaguitar: :toast: :eat:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wendy » Jun 10, 2006 1:58 pm

I'm not going to make it there, but there are several cavers from Florida that will be attending
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Next

Return to Caver Events