Lim Rock Blowing Cave - High Water

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lim Rock Blowing Cave - High Water

Postby Oddball » Feb 5, 2013 10:48 am

I'm a little late on posting the pictures but I thought I would still share.
Around mid-January North Alabama received a large amount of rain over a few days. On my way home from work, I decided to pass by and see the condition of the Lim Rock Blowing Cave entrance as I know it is prone to flooding. Gaining access to the cave seemed to be harder than expected, but after some stepping stone crossings of the two creeks I only managed to get my feet slightly wet.
For copyright purposes I will link only to a picture of the dry entrance for comparison to the pictures I took.
Link: http://www.scci.org/preserves/limrock/limrockentrance2.jpg

These are the pictures I took that day.

Far off shot on approach trail:

Closer shot of entrance:

As the survey I have doesn't show passage elevation very well, I have no idea on how high the water would have to rise in the cave to reach the level it was at the day I went, but as the passage from the entrance to the stream under normal circumstances is is at a constant decline, I wouldn't be surprised to say 20 to 30 feet.

And for people familiar with the cave, the small sinkhole on the approach trail also had enough water flowing out that I had to climb up and over it on the ridge. This changed my philosophy on the hydrology of the cave, but also confirmed some.
I also took a picture for the interested:

I hope this post will interest people that have not seen the cave at it's flooded stage, and also be a warning to others of the danger the cave poses during rain events. I apologize for the picture quality, but they were taken via cellphone.
Oddball
Frequent Poster

Re: Lim Rock Blowing Cave - High Water

Postby graveleye » Feb 5, 2013 11:32 am

very cool. I need to get back there soon.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Mudduck » Feb 8, 2013 9:33 pm

Only been to Limrock once, how long does it take for the water to drop to a more caver friendly level
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby Oddball » Feb 9, 2013 3:43 pm

I am not absolutely sure. I had visited the cave about a week earlier and water levels were high but not close to causing a resurgence at the entrance. The cave is well drained during normal conditions via another resurgence. I would venture to say that the entrance conditions I posted pictures of would quickly dissipate (24 hrs) but the lower stream passages might hold water at higher than normal levels for days while until normal conditions returned.
Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the cave could answer your question better.

-OB
Oddball
Frequent Poster

Postby JennP65343 » Jan 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Great photos! Although ive never seen it flooded like this. Ive been in Limrock all the way through the tight squeeze. During a really dry season its maybe ankle deep BUT the boat pool ive never seen dry. You can by pass it by doing a loop. Ive also been a few days after it rained and it was about shin deep. From what ive seen it always holds some water. But is a fun cave!!
JennP65343
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jennifer Potts
NSS #: 65343
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum