Gloves of choice for wet vert caving

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Gloves of choice for wet vert caving

Postby Lava » Jan 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Another vote here for PVC gloves and neoprene liners. I have tried the polypro liners, but I find they don't keep my hands warm.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 12, 2013 10:34 am

I don't go vertical much, but when I do, I tend to wear PMI Rope Tech gloves. NOT cheap, But nice.

But I also have a pair of gloves from HD that I'd probably wear for vertical also. (they'r yellow and black, all synthetic, no idea the brand or model).
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby KeyserSoze » Jan 12, 2013 11:23 am

Just some words of wisdom. If using leather gloves, be sure to get them out of your cave pack as soon as you are done caving. I had a wet pair of PMI leather gloves that turned moldy after several days of being in the muddy clothes bucket. I use cheaper, more disposable gloves now.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby Caver John » Jan 12, 2013 2:28 pm

So it seems many people here are using gloves that are either rubber, PVC , or other synthetics and no real problems with the material wearing through from rope burn(at least not instantaneously like I thought it would). Ill have to experiment. I've always used leather for rapping.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby driggs » Jan 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Atlas Xtra is very durable, tactile, both warm when wet (fingers are rubber dipped) but not too hot in dry caving (cloth material with open weave on back of hand and wrist). I'm amazed at how well they withstand muddy, wet, cave rope through the palm, though on dry drops I will sometimes smell that "burnt rubber" smell. Don't even think about leather gloves in a wet cave, and neoprene will simply be wasted money if you use it on rope. Plus, Atlas gloves in size Medium (both the Xtra and the Therma Fit) have finger lengths that properly fit my hand, while other gloves leave me with an extra 3/4" of floppy glove on my pinky fingers.

driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby LukeM » Jan 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Especially if you're doing smaller drops in the NE you should be just fine. It's been more than a few years since I went out of my way to use leather on rappel. If you're really concerned you could get some rubber-dipped kevlar work gloves. They're pretty reasonable on eBay.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Mike Hopley » Jan 28, 2013 7:58 am

If it's going to be really wet, I'd prefer neoprene gloves (and maybe a wetsuit!).

For general caving, I like these dyneema gloves. Not waterproof or warm, but dextrous and almost indestructible. Adding a thin liner glove or wristover makes them warmer, but only when dry. I might try a thin neoprene liner, if I can find one.

You also have the option of carrying a spare pair of thicker, warmer gloves.
Mike Hopley
Frequent Poster

Postby paul » Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

I wear lined PVC gloves like these:

I was put off neoprene gloves many years ago when a caving companion hurt himself when he fell while climbing down a handline-assisted climb and couldn't hang onto the rope while wearing neoprene gloves.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Previous

Return to On Rope!