Third Generation Disto-X Progress

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Third Generation Disto-X Progress

Postby LWB » Jan 4, 2013 9:58 am

I heard from Beat about his progress on the new version of the Disto X.

Work on the DXT210 stopped because of calibration drift issues that where apparently caused by poor temperature compensation in the Honeywell magnetometers. Plus Leica discontinued the 210 Disto.

The replacement is the X310 Leica Disto which has the same waterproof / shockproof features of the 210. The X310 is the European model, the USA version is the E7400x. Apparently the only difference (like with the 210 models) is the default measurement unit.

Retail is $279, but the best price I found was here:
http://www.fltgeosystems.com/disto/leic ... PAodYUIAzA

Several significant (and good) changes. Beat has gone back to using the PNI magnetometers used in the A3 Disto X (they didn't fit in the 210). And instead of a parasite board, he is replacing the main board completely. This is possible because the laser range finder part is on a separate board in the X310. Additionally he is replacing the original batteries by a nonmagnetic LiPo battery mounted inside the case. It will be charged via a micro USB connector inside the original battery compartment. This may allow a calibration to last much longer than with the A3 Disto Xs (since the drift seems to be caused by battery discharge).

Beat says he has received the first prototype board and is writing the software now. With the extra functions this is more involved that the previous Disto Xs.

Maybe by summer....
LWB
Prolific Poster

Re: Third Generation Disto-X Progress

Postby Extremeophile » Jan 4, 2013 10:55 am

Excellent! I'm now convinced that surveying with a Disto X can be up to 50% faster than using conventional instrumentation, and it has the potential to eliminate a wide variety of common blunders. This is the next great evolution in surveying techniques ... until the helmet-mounted, self-calibrating LIDAR is released.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby logicvortex » Jan 4, 2013 4:43 pm

This is great news. Thanks for the updates!
logicvortex
Infrequent Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60910
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville

Postby Adam Byrd » Feb 15, 2013 6:46 pm

The most important question here is when can I place a pre-order?
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby Crockett » Feb 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for the update. This sounds promising.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby LWB » Jun 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Beat shipped a prototype board to Tom last week. I assume it has arrived or will arrive shortly. I sent the new Disto, the new battery (lithium, non-magnetic to be permanently installed) and the USB breakout board (for charging the battery) to Tom a few weeks back. So hopefully Tom will be able to assemble and bring to the cave this weekend. We will be there all week so there is plenty of time for testing (as well as caving).

Beat reports no problems with calibration with the new Disto and board, so it will hopefully be in production soon.

Hopefully something to report next week.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby rchrds » Jun 28, 2013 8:53 am

This is what I wanted to hear. Looking forward to using the new one. I was about ready for a new disto. Hadn't spent enough money on instruments this year yet. :|
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby LWB » Jul 1, 2013 7:36 pm

No results yet. The battery charging via USB was using a SparkFun breakout board (to be installed in the battery compartment), but the one I got had a short between ground and VCC. Tom is working on a work around (and SparkFun is shipping a new board) so with luck we may have a third generation Disto X in testing before the week is over. Can't test if we can't charge the LiPo battery.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby pmcop » Jul 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello,
Any update?
Thanks
pmcop
Infrequent Poster

Postby LWB » Jul 16, 2013 1:21 pm

No news. I got the replacement USB breakout board from Sparkfun, and will send to Tom. Haven't really figured out the problem. Hopefully we will have something to test the weekend before the NSS Convention.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Jul 16, 2013 2:04 pm

LWB wrote:No news.

Beat should have prototype boards for X310 on ICS 2013.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby icave » Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Suddenly found myself in the market for new survey gear. I've been looking into the E7400x, as it has features I can use for work also. If the prototype works as desired, when do you expect distribution and any idea on a price for the US market?

Thanks and great to hear the promising news!

Mike Spencer
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Martin Sluka » Jul 30, 2013 4:45 pm

icave wrote:Suddenly found myself in the market for new survey gear. I've been looking into the E7400x, Mike Spencer

E7400X is the same as X310. Heeb had the prototype on ICS2013. Testing it, maybe 2-3 months to production phase.
E7500i is better model, it has camera with 5 times zoom. Beat will test the possibility to convert it to DistoX too.

martin
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby icave » Aug 1, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks for the update Martin. I bought the E7400x. I also use the rangefinder for work, and I couldn't justify the extra $320, and nice as the 7500i would have been. (I can see a real use for this in determining building and window heights, which I occasionally need to do for work.) When I think of all the lousy contorted shots I've done over the years, the DistoX sounds wonderful. Until then, I picked up a Tandem from Ben Meadows for $170.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby altaruteño » Aug 26, 2013 10:08 am

Hi everybody! :waving:

I'm new user in this chat. I belong to a caving group in Jerez de la Frontera (Spain).

First at all, the new DistoX sounds really wonderful and we would like to get one when it will be possibe :kewl: . However, I have a little question related with it. :question:

I've read in another topic that the parasite board, in the previous version of DistoX, had to be assembled by ourselves. Is it the same for the new DistoX? Should we have to ensamble by ourselves as well or should we have to send the surveying device to Beat to be ensambled?

Thank's a lot for your answers in advance and we are thrilled about hearing good news from the new DistoX!!

Cheers!!
altaruteño
New Poster

Next

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum