Wild Caving Is Back At Carter Caves

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Wild Caving Is Back At Carter Caves

Postby Andy » Dec 22, 2012 10:39 am

Wild cave trips are back at Carter Caves State Park in Kentucky for the Winter Adventure Weekend! There are over 20 wild cave trips to choose from. The Winter Adventure Weekend is January 25-27, 2013. Check it out:

http://www.winteradventureweekend.com/

As you may recall Crawlathon was cancelled in 2009 because of WNS. The Winter Adventure Weekend event was created to take its place. The decision was made this year to allow some wild caving at this event.

We have over 140 field trips to choose from including rock climbing, rappelling, rope climbing, tree climbing, shooting, horseback riding, mountain biking and a high line ride! This event includes the best of Crawlathon plus much, much more!

I hope to see you there!

Andy
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Re: Wild Caving Is Back At Carter Caves

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 26, 2012 7:43 pm

I was all excited till I read the requirements. Decon I understand, but unless people outright lie, buying all new gear for 1 cave trip (1 trip maximum) is ridiculous.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 26, 2012 11:51 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:buying all new gear for 1 cave trip (1 trip maximum) is ridiculous.

Especially for those caves. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy rooting around in them, but not if I have to buy new stuff. It seems excessive to require such measures to visit Tarkiln particularly, since it's on private property and is frequently traveled. The trip descriptions tend to be a bit touristy though, so some folks might be getting gear just for this event anyway.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Andy » Dec 31, 2012 9:22 pm

There are still plenty of open spots on the wild cave trips at Winter Adventure Weekend. Check it out at:

http://www.winteradventureweekend.com/

If you feel the requirements are too excessive or if you feel the need to lie then don't come. No problem. Plenty of people will attend. They always do.
Andy
Frequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Andy,

I have enjoyed several crawlathons pre-WNS. I have no doubt attendance will be good as it is a great park regardless of caving. I also didn't mean to suggest people should lie about their gear although that of course will happen to some degree anyway.

However, I think any reasonable examination of the requirements will lead one to conclude that all new gear or gear you havent used in 6+ years to do 1 cave is not really reasonable if you are desiring good participation in caving, especially for this forum audience of cavers, many of whom are very familiar with the technical aspects of WNS, the history of control measures, bat biology, and know WNS hysteria when they see it.

Of course as you say the requirements are what they are and people can take it or leave it....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Andy » Jan 11, 2013 10:15 am

There are 296 people signed up for Winter Adventure Weekend and 196 of them, or two-thirds, have signed up for a wild caving trip. I think the numbers speak to the fact that wild caving is still pretty popular despite the requirements.

I did not create the caving requirements for Winter Adventure Weekend. I had nothing to do with them. But, in my opinion, having the caves open with these caving requirements is much better than having the caves remain closed.
Andy
Frequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Well I am certainly surprised that many people are willing to invest in new gear or haven't been caving in 6+ years. Glad the turnout is good though.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm

There are a LOT of desperate cavers out there due to WNS restrictions.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Events