Apex

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Apex

Postby Dangerjudy » Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Also I have an Apex with a ruined battery pack, though the head is still good. IF anyone has a stack of dead Apexs I am looking for a battery pack to fix the Apex I ruined (by leaving batteries in it).
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Re: Apex

Postby tncaver » Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Dangerjudy wrote:Also I have an Apex with a ruined battery pack, though the head is still good. IF anyone has a stack of dead Apexs I am looking for a battery pack to fix the Apex I ruined (by leaving batteries in it).

If you haven't altered the Apex why don't you just send it back to the manufacturer who will fix it or send you a new one for free? You have to contact them
in advance for a return authorization. It doesn't require a receipt or original box.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 14, 2012 10:50 pm

My brother returned a Corona with a trashed battery pack--he simply wanted a new pack--and PT sent him a new light. :kewl: :thanks:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Dangerjudy » Dec 15, 2012 9:31 am

I did alter it. I took apart the head unit and siliconed it to make it waterproof (that worked btw).
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am

Dangerjudy wrote:I did alter it. I took apart the head unit and siliconed it to make it waterproof (that worked btw).

Bummer.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Dangerjudy wrote:I did alter it. I took apart the head unit and siliconed it to make it waterproof (that worked btw).

Silicone grease or the stuff that sets? If the headlamp doesn't look too fundamentally modified, you should be fine getting a manufacturer replacement.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 15, 2012 9:09 pm

you should be fine getting a manufacturer replacement.

Or at least a new battery pack. You'll never know until you send it to them and see what they do or say. :popcorn:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby CaveGimp » Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am

From your post it sounds like the batteries leaked and that is why you say the battery pack is ruined. If it is just battery acid on the terminals try cleaning it. Chemistry 101, battery acid is well an acid, so use a base to neutrlize the acid. Baking soda and a bit of water and plenty of Q-tips should get it cleaned up. I have bought many headlamps from REI garage sales whose only issue was leaky battery and the baking soda fixed it right up. Now if the acid got to the case itself and it is no longer "water-tight" then you might.

Now for the chemists out there, yes I know baking soda isn't a true base rather a salt, but when dissloved in water it has a PH slightly higher than 7.0 and reacts well with battery acid, plus it is readily available.

Either way good luck getting your APEX cave ready again.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby Dangerjudy » Dec 22, 2012 11:29 am

yeah, the thing is, the battery acid actually ate through some of the plastic case. If I can I'll get a photo up.

I have a BAD habit of forgetting to take out batteries.
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Using something other than alkaline batteries would alleviate the problem of leaky cells. Ever tried Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Dangerjudy » Dec 26, 2012 4:22 pm

I've used Eneloops before. I guess the problem there is, they lose charge sitting over time so I have to remember to recharge them before use. But yes, that would be a solution to my battery woes.
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 26, 2012 5:13 pm

How do you forget? Your light is your life line in the cave. The first thing I do whn I get home is grab my helmet and remove all batteries and throw them back on the charger. No corrosion. Take care of that which takes care of you. Unless you just dot give a damn. Maybe you should Change hobbies??
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Dec 26, 2012 6:40 pm

come on Chad. There are probably a lot of people that don't trust or care for rechargeables. I'm one of them. My experience with rechargeable batteries goes back to I guess the 80s and had a lot of bad experiences with them.
I know I know I hear they are better now than they used to be, but it's hard for me to put my full trust in them. That's no reason to tell someone to give up caving.

I have the Apex Tec too and run lithiums in it always. When it gets dim the brights won't come on, I replace them. They are twice the price of regular batteries, but I get twice the life out of them.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 26, 2012 7:05 pm

hey, I leave the batteries in sometimes too. I always carry spares of batteries and lights so :shrug:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Dec 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I always try to remember to charge my caving light batteries and my drill batteries (if digging) the night before I go out. I do so even if I charged them after the last time I went caving/digging so that I will have the maximum power/time on my caving accessories.
And of course, I carry non rechargeable back up batteries just in case I need them. Today there are some alkalines that claim to hold
their charge up to 10 years. Those should make good back up batteries.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum