bolts............what do you prefer?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: bolts............what do you prefer?

Postby chh » Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm

caverdoc wrote:I started setting bolts at VPI in the late 70's, using 1/4" Star drills and split-shank bolts. My, how times have changed!

I've led above rusty quarter inch star drivers before. That was, um, awesome. We call those onsight bolts! :laughing:
God bless a bomber 3/8th!
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby ljthawk » May 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Chad,

Too bad you didn't come to NCRC, I brought my sampler stash and could have given you a short primer.

Let me know, next time I am down caving with you guys I can bring some stuff.

In a nut shell, for caving I have mostly used the Fixe wedge, short for hand drilling and the double wedge when power drilling. I also used the Petzl wedge and some other stainless non climbing brand wedges. I have played with the triplex and plan to use them, but have not to date in a cave. Many friends still use the Petzl self drills for speed, lightweight and convenience, but I try not to.

I have also played with glue ins, but have not used them in a cave.

Check out these links I posted several years back. Do a search, the discussions still may be in the archives.

http://www.imdl.gatech.edu/ljthawk/fixe ... der_04.pdf

http://www.imdl.gatech.edu/ljthawk/fixe ... g_1_04.pdf

http://www.imdl.gatech.edu/ljthawk/fixe ... _table.pdf

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 30, 2010 9:02 am

LJ Thanks. Did you perform those tests yourself? Thats some pretty rad stuff. Bring whatever you want to show me the next time you come down, I am willing to learn anything you want to teach me. I talked to Bruce Smith about the Fixe bolts at MVOR and he explained why they are superior/preferred as I had never seen them in person before much less known why they were "all that."

Hopefully you can come down with Todd in July.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby monkey » Aug 13, 2010 4:35 pm

monkey
Infrequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 17, 2012 11:39 am

Fun times rereading this thread. The tree i talkedabout in the first post literally blew down early this year and shattered into a hundred pieces in the valley floor. it was big and hollow and now its gone,lol. great information here.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!