Caving tv reality show

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Caving tv reality show

Postby boreholio » Dec 2, 2012 10:38 pm

And I believe you....however, the producers may not think there is a market for promoting good caving practices to the general public and/or have different ideas to embellish the excitement level. I could see perhaps a one time show for those purposes but it doesn't seem likely for a continuing series, particularly for a "reality" show that typically consists of interpersonal conflict in whatever setting.

Now if it's done by Natl. Geo, Nature, etc. that would be one thing but if it's your typical for profit company, then they've got a lot of advertising to sell.

If it appears that is the case, then I encourage you to keep looking and avoid the contrived reality format. I would suggest telling the tales of one or more epic cave discoveries and explorations in a series with education in conservation added in. Plenty of them with real life excitement, adventure, personal stories, etc. to be told.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Dec 2, 2012 11:53 pm

Last edited by evanrobinson1985 on Feb 9, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Name: Evan Chandler Robinson
NSS #: 63985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tampa Bay Area Grotto

Postby caverdan » Dec 3, 2012 5:26 pm

About the only real juicy stuff .....fit for reality TV.....might be.....based on the BOG or maybe NSS conventions.....past through the present. Real drama happens behind closed doors and at the campground.....not in a cave. :argue: :boxing: :argue: :boxing: :yikes: :doh: :tonguecheek: :shrug: :shhh: :cave softly:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 3, 2012 5:56 pm

Evan,

just remember if it all goes bad the community will hold you responsible :big grin:

I saw a very instructive interview with Survivor contestants where they said what was aired on the show was very much a cut n paste job and not really a good reflection of what happened.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tlaloc » Dec 3, 2012 6:27 pm

They'll make a HORRIBLE, sensationalist show, portraying caving as an extreme, dangerous sport. There will be no conservation or safety message and no caver will ever speak to you again.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby KWW » Dec 4, 2012 8:51 am

I'm waiting to hear how the phone interview went.....Can you even ever trust what TV people tell you? I don't trust anyone in the entertainment industry. And I can back that up with the proof of the 2 record labels my band has turned down. All Crooks!
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Dec 4, 2012 10:24 am

caverdan wrote:About the only real juicy stuff .....fit for reality TV.....might be.....based on the BOG or maybe NSS conventions.....past through the present. Real drama happens behind closed doors and at the campground.....not in a cave. :argue: :boxing: :argue: :boxing: :yikes: :doh: :tonguecheek: :shrug: :shhh: :cave softly:

This is exactly right. Following Colorado cavers around with a camera might make for entertaining television, but all the drama seems to occur on the surface. At times it's like watching Jerry Springer. When we're underground everyone mellows out and gets along. :doh:
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby caverdan » Dec 4, 2012 11:59 am

Extremeophile wrote:
caverdan wrote:About the only real juicy stuff .....fit for reality TV.....might be.....based on the BOG or maybe NSS conventions.....past through the present. Real drama happens behind closed doors and at the campground.....not in a cave. :argue: :boxing: :argue: :boxing: :yikes: :doh: :tonguecheek: :shrug: :shhh: :cave softly:

This is exactly right. Following Colorado cavers around with a camera might make for entertaining television, but all the drama seems to occur on the surface. At times it's like watching Jerry Springer. When we're underground everyone mellows out and gets along. :doh:

Now we're talk'in reality TV that the public would love to watch. But why limit it to Colorado and make us the stars. :big grin: :big grin: The NSS is filled with waaaaaayyyy more colorful cavers than Colorado contains.

Just think......it could be based on visiting different grotto's.......attending different meetings like the CCS, BOG, regionals, conservancies.........conventions......ORT......TAG......the list goes on. It would be Jerry Springer on Steroids. :rofl:

Tell them to save there camera equipment as the real action is above ground trying to figure out who's sleeping with who after that cave trip or meeting. :shrug: :shhh: You could end each episode with a shot of some Randy Gandy cavers heading into a cave. :yikes: :clap:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby gindling » Dec 4, 2012 12:23 pm

that is exactly what one of the proposals was when talking to producers for the Deadly Descent. Going around at a caver carnival or convention would make great footage, its not just the caves, its the cavers themselves that is the spectacle to watch! When we met the other cavers during the pre-pilot we had much better drama outside the cave then in...but as expected in became a forced drama cut & paste.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby cavedad » Dec 4, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm thinking that noodle wrestling (rasslin?) at Karstorama would make the cut...
cavedad
Occasional Poster

Name: John Meeks
NSS #: 59348
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Dec 4, 2012 2:24 pm

evanrobinson1985 wrote:boreholio,

I completely understand your concerns. The purpose of the show would be to promote good caving practices and show the community the importance of cave conservancy. How the WNS is affecting bats, and to show the destruction from people dumping garbage and spray painting the caves. My intentions are for the good of caves. No locations will be given. And I would certainly ask for donations at the end of every show to help the NSS.

ian1210,

Thanks for the suggestion Ian. I have all the equipment to make sure we are all safe. Even if not, the producer would have to buy it all I'm sure. lol

Hi Evan,

I have no doubt you have good intentions, however I am curious... I see your NSS # is 63985, which means you just joined the NSS in 2012. What experience do you have that makes you a good candidate to be a "face" for cavers promoting good caving practices and cave conservancy? Have you been actively involved in karst cleanups? Are you on the board of a caving orgainization that specializes in conservation efforts within your region? I would think that approach would be taken more seriously coming from a caving organization that specializes in such practices, such as the SERA Karst Task Force, Indiana Karst Conservancy or another regional org/grotto that has been doing such things for many years. I guess i'm just wondering what your story is and why you feel compelled to try and make a reality TV show out of it.
Last edited by UnderGroundEarth on Dec 4, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Dec 4, 2012 7:16 pm

Last edited by evanrobinson1985 on Feb 9, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Postby KWW » Dec 4, 2012 7:51 pm

evanrobinson1985 wrote:
. The fact that I would be traveling the U.S.A. (maybe the world) meeting the greatest cavers/Grottos and learning about caves and caving from them. Which in turn, would be a good way to get cave conservation and safe caving a spot on T.V.. So as you see, I would just be the guy like Mike Rowe going around meeting different cavers and Grottos, and you all would be the people teaching myself and the world about safe caving and conservation.:

Sorry, but it sounds like a pretty boring show to me. Mike Rowe talks to different people with different trades in every show. Sometimes 3 per show. So really you wouldn't be like him at all. I'm not sure how many times I could watch a show offering the exact same education on every episode. As I and some others have said prior....Caving is not a spectator sport. If made, I would give it one season....Sorry....
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Dec 4, 2012 8:52 pm

Last edited by evanrobinson1985 on Feb 9, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Postby Tlaloc » Dec 4, 2012 9:31 pm

evanrobinson1985 wrote:...It would be a show for channels like National Geographic, Discovery, or History. NOT channels such as MTV, ABC, ETC.... :grin: I would not go through with the show if it was going to make caving a circus...

I guess that you missed the "History" channel's absolutely dreadful series of shows about the 2012 Mayan doomsday hoax. Bigfoot, UFOs, aliens built the pyramids in Egypt, Nostradamus, etc. on what channels? - National Geographic, Discovery, and the History channel which is unbelievably craptacular.

Santa Claus, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy and these people will make a cave show with a strong safety and conservation message.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum