Do you ever take landowners on survey trips?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you ever take landowners on survey trips?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm

I know that some cavers at times offer to take a landowner caving. Have you ever taken an owner surveying? I know it may not be practical very often, but I've recently found it to be quite rewarding. On two occasions I've brought the landowner along to survey their small caves. I explain the basics, and try to include them in the process by giving them the laser, or one end of the tape. In one case the owner held tape for the first two shots before the passage got too little to suit him. It wasn't much, but he was tickled pink when I gave him a finished map with his own name on it. I think it's worth trying regularly. If the survey is a big one, could the owner come along just once for some easy passage? In my case, the good will established with these gentlemen was astounding. One has been scouring his property since my visit, trying to find another sink with a hole that I can fit in. The other just today sent me an email to thank me.
Since the caves in my area are less than impressive, I've been searching for ways to enhance the experience. This has certainly been one of them.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Do you ever take landowners on survey trips?

Postby MUD » Oct 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Good for you Jonah! I've taken landowners digging, blasting, scooping, surveying, photographing, filming, bat counting, dye tracing.....lol, should I go on? ALWAYS involve the landowner whenever possible! As you're finding out, it does wonders for the caver/landowner relationship. Keep up the great work brother! :clap:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby NZcaver » Oct 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes indeed. On a few occasions landowners have "helped" when we've been surveying, or at least supervised. :wink: I even know some landowners who turned into cavers.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Nov 1, 2012 8:09 am

We surveyed Swell Well in Marion County, TN while the landowner sat up top and waited. He rode up the mountain in his back yard and took us right to the pit. He even ridgewalked around with us a bit. Jason put his name on the map and after it was drafted he was very proud of it.

We've also taken the landowner of Doodlebug / Blowing Cave into the Blowing Cave entrance this past summer. However, it was after the survey was complete. She used to live within a few hundred feet of the Blowing Cave entrance back in the 70's and even used it for her water source. During her years living there she always wondered what was inside. It was nice to be able to show her the cave.

Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby MUD » Nov 1, 2012 10:34 am

:clap: Good job Kelly and great pics. Keep up the positive landowner relations! :kewl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum