What line plotting software do you prefer to use?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Compass
38%
Walls
29%
Survex
8%
Therion
17%
Toporobot
No votes
VisualTopo
4%
Other (please specify in thread)
4%

Total votes : 24

Postby vpicaver » Oct 17, 2012 10:22 am

If you like, please describe why you like one software over the others.
vpicaver
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 55634
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VPI Cave Club

Re: What line plotting software do you prefer to use?

Postby jlillest » Oct 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Walls has provided me with the most thorough and reliable method for producing lineplots to aid in making maps. I've run into problems with both Survex & Compass where they don't plot data correctly.

I haven't used TopoRobot or VisualTopo (and Therion uses Survex).
jlillest
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 53971
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS

Postby vpicaver » Oct 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Therion does use Survex. Although it has it own survey entry tool, which is similar to Survex.
vpicaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Oct 17, 2012 4:55 pm

vpicaver wrote:Therion does use Survex. Although it has it own survey entry tool, which is similar to Survex.

Therion's authors were inspired by analysis of surveying of caves used in Survex. Therion's syntax is not copy of Survex's. Therion MAY use Survex's loop closure algorithm.

Way I use Therion? It fulfilled my dreams from end of 70th. And, I apologize myself first, I don't know any other software tool for making maps of caves which is able to compete with it. Sorry.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby Stelios Zacharias » Oct 18, 2012 3:55 am

I use Vtopo because that's what I was taught on (it had a Greek translation from very early times).
Now I pass the data into vTopo for a first check, then copy paste into Therion for drawing walls, etc.
Stelios Zacharias
Frequent Poster

Postby Footleg » Oct 18, 2012 8:50 am

Reading the question carefully I had to vote Survex because that is what I use to managed all my centreline plots.

But if we are really talking about drawing up maps then my main work has used Tunnel (not even listed in the poll, but enables centreline data from survex to be used as the basis for plan maps (not elevations as of now) ). If you make changes in the centreline (close a loop, correct a mistake in data entry) then Tunnel automatically redraws your map adjusted to the new centreline positions. Passages which overlap only move with respect to their actual centreline because the passages on the map are tied to the centreline data from only that passage. The only other software I know that does this is Therion, which is much more feature rich. I am learning that at the moment. I like both because they do the job well, are free and well supported by developers and user communities.

I was curious by the comments above saying that Survex does not plot right. I have never come across this in 7 years to using it. Can you explain more?
Footleg
Frequent Poster

Postby vpicaver » Oct 18, 2012 9:14 am

I didn't think Tunnel had a data entry tool, like Therion does. Or does it?
vpicaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby dangle » Oct 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm more interested in drawing maps than plotting centrelines. For drawing maps and managing cave data I use Therion. Using paperless surveying methods a 'plotted' centreline is not needed (unless you count the centreline image that appears automatically on the monitor, or forms part of the 3d model and 'backbone' for the drawing) and for manual survey data I use Therion to plot the centreline because I may as well use the same application that I use to draw the map.
dangle
New Poster

Postby AndrewA » Oct 21, 2012 5:24 am

I guess I really use PocketTopo, as this plots the centreline and then I draw round it in the cave. Then the next stage is the production of the maps and models for which I use Therion, I guess it does all the combining of centrelines and loop closures, so my vote went to Therion.
As said by others, I think the line plotting software is not that important, even the loop closure part is not that critical, as with the DistoX I get loops that are generally less than 50cm out when closed. I chose Therion as I find it best for managing large projects, difficult to start with, but that is due to the freedom to manage things your own way, well worth the initial struggle.
AndrewA
Infrequent Poster

Postby trogman » Oct 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I use AutoCad, primarily because I am familiar with it.

Trogman:helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby lleblanc » Oct 23, 2012 10:21 am

vpicaver wrote:If you like, please describe why you like one software over the others.

I was amazed to see this list of survey software exactly coincides with those I picked for the upcoming export feature in Auriga, including an "Other" choice being a tabulated CSV format. I'm currently doing a final round of checks with users of those export targets. I also implemented an import feature, initially limited to Compass and VisualTopo formats. This import/export addition is getting more and more necessary as some Auriga users are now running the software on Android tablets - thanks to the StyleTap emulator - making the HotSync-based Auriga two-way conduit harder to use (in the absence of a real PDA). Expect a release (2.05) early-November.
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum