Ropewalker Exercise

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Ropewalker Exercise

Postby captcaveman » Oct 20, 2012 9:43 pm

I want to become more efficient endurance wise with my ropewalker. What are some exercises I can do that will specifically help my be able to climb higher and faster. :grin:
captcaveman
Infrequent Poster

Re: Ropewalker Exercise

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Easy.... Use your ropewalker.

nothing in the gym works your hip flexor muscles like a ropewalker. IN the gym I do Squats, lunges, leg press, leg curls, calf extensions, leg extensions, dead lifts, and I havent been climbing at ALL lately, Not a bit. Yesterday I climbed 800' at bridge day and my hip flexors are very sore today. No leg workout in the gym that I have found will get you in shape for ropewalking. if you want in better shape, build a rope treadmill and start training.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby captcaveman » Oct 21, 2012 10:32 pm

I've tried finding a place to make a climbing gym but had no luck. I tried one method of putting the rope through a pulley and down through a rack but I do not believe I had it high enough. I kept having to fight to stay off the rack so I could not get a rythm going. Any tips?
captcaveman
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 22, 2012 12:32 am

The setup you're looking for is called a rope treadmill. Lots of options, and lots of previous forum discussions. Try starting here.

Good luck!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 22, 2012 9:17 am

captcaveman wrote:I've tried finding a place to make a climbing gym but had no luck. I tried one method of putting the rope through a pulley and down through a rack but I do not believe I had it high enough. I kept having to fight to stay off the rack so I could not get a rythm going. Any tips?

The idea that you have to have a high anchor for a rope treadmill is a load of bull. there are two ways you can build a system, the kind you can do solo, or the kind where you have to rely on someone else to belay you. You chose the later.

To do it solo you need only 10 feet of clearance. Hang the rack upside down from a beam, tree branch, whatever. Off to the side rig a pully, just a few feet from the rack and put your pile of rope under the pully. Take the end of the rpoe, run it up through the pully, then over to the rack, and thread it down the rack. Climb on the rope hanging from the rack. you can put your hands on the rack, treating it like you would a QAS and you can use your hands to manipulate the bars to feed the rope faster or slower.

But, but but! you are so close to the ground it wont work, due to self starting! Wrong again, being close to the ground teaches you proper technique in which bringing your feet in line with the rope and straight up to your opposite knee will eliminate your need to ever have to self start. I never do. I just pick my feet up and start climbing until im off the ground and climbing freely. practice makes perfect. See the other thread.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!