New Technology

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

New Technology

Postby Downundercaver » Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm

So I was thinking the other day if had countless amounts of money and free time what would i invent/improve for the caving world. Then it thought what has everyone else thought of inventing/improving if the had unlimited money and time (And of course the countless smart people to do the building etc unless unlike me you are smart enough to do it all yourself) Me i was thinking how cool (But not in one bit good for a cave) would it be to fill paintballs with the glow in the dark liquid found in glow sticks and then shoot it at cave walls on a long descent so it lit up the whole way or shoot across a void in a new cave to see how far the void goes. Also you could mark your way into a cave to know how to get back out. Of course I have no idea how the liquid would run off etc hence why I would need alot of money/scientist to help. So anyone out there have any ideas/improvements for the caving or vertical world you would like to share???
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Mcalpine

Re: New Technology

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 17, 2012 4:59 am

Someone needs to invent a rechargeable battery in the shape of a helmet.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby potholer » Oct 17, 2012 9:42 am

What I'd like would be a pocket-sized inertial navigation surveying unit which could be preloaded with existing data to use as a guide when learning/exploring known complex systems.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 17, 2012 10:22 am

Downundercaver wrote: i was thinking how cool (But not in one bit good for a cave) would it be to fill paintballs with the glow in the dark liquid found in glow sticks and then shoot it at cave walls on a long descent so it lit up the whole way or shoot across a void in a new cave to see how far the void goes.

They make laser distos that can be used for measuring distances in a cave and would be much more accurate.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Downundercaver » Oct 17, 2012 11:38 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote: They make laser distos that can be used for measuring distances in a cave and would be much more accurate.

Yeah I was meaning in terms of being able to look up and see the wall in the distance with a dab of glow in the dark Liquid not the actual distance. Also being able to light up (Kinda) the passge on the way down.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Postby Crockett » Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am

Kelly has a good point. You could make a Flying Laser Disco Caving Ball. The visual possibilities are endless and it will be lower impact (except when it bumps into stuff). I am putting Scott McCrea in charge of this important project. (be sure to include speakers and light/sound coordination like the iTunes visualizer). Commercial cave managers will beat a path to your door.

On a more serious note I could use a temperature controlled cave suit. AVAcore is making advancements in the Cooling Glove:

http://www.avacore.com/

Studies indicate that the sports performance advantage is greater than taking steroids.

A cave application would need to be smaller, portable, innocuous and rugged. It would also need to be reversible to warm the core. I think warming technology similar to the cooling glove is being used in hospital surgery recovery rooms. The US military has also employed some of this concept with desert suits and cold weather gear.

The perfect cave suit would also have a system for padding that could be changed in size, location, and nature...and knee pads that stay in place. This might require some kind of air or fluid injection system.

So, a better cave suit would be priceless.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby gindling » Oct 18, 2012 2:30 pm

We just need stillsuits like Frank Herbert envisioned in his Dune series.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Downundercaver wrote:Yeah I was meaning in terms of being able to look up and see the wall in the distance ..... Also being able to light up (Kinda) the passge on the way down.

Wonder what's on that there wall in the distance? Don't risk the neck fatigue associated with turning your head to shine a headlamp on it, shoot off a few glowing paintballs. Firing your Glow Gun while rappelling will also allow you to see the passage on the way down. Better make it a pistol, Downunder, so we won't have to let go with our brake hand.

Crockett wrote:So, a better cave suit would be priceless.

Your perfect cave suit (climate controlled, perfectly padded) would make things way too comfortable. I can already sit on a soft cushion by the fireplace and look at pictures of caves ...blech.

How about radically smaller and lighter vertical gear? It takes a pretty big pack to carry a couple of hundred feet of rope and everything needed to ride it. Could that bulk/weight be cut in half? If so, I think that would be a fairly revolutionary improvement.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 18, 2012 6:19 pm

hmm a form of synthetic biodegradable non-sticky spider silk. just carry in a jug of pressurized liquid with an aimable nozzle and a way to specify length. instant disposable rope. gear can be minaturized since the diameter would be very small.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Is that your way of saying it's impossible?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Downundercaver » Oct 18, 2012 10:18 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote: Wonder what's on that there wall in the distance? Don't risk the neck fatigue associated with turning your head to shine a headlamp on it, shoot off a few glowing paintballs.

Haha, spose their would be cavers who would eventualy get a fatigued trigger finger.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum