Hailing from Upstate New York

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hailing from Upstate New York

Postby NNYCaver » Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Hello CaveChatters,

I started caving this year and am looking to learn as much as I can about it- navigation, surveying and photography in particular. My first trip was early this year to Bonapartes Cave, a very small cave in Upstate New York. A few months later I made my way to the NCC managed Sellecks Karst Preserve (Sellecks Cave, Cave 575, Levys Cave). The following day a few buddies and I, quite enthralled by the experience, headed to Eagle Cave in the Adirondacks, which is much larger and more confusing than the Sellecks Preserve caves! After much study and preparation I recently returned to Eagle Cave and explored several of the other small caves in that area as well. I intend to join a grotto (probably Niagara Frontier Grotto) soon and am planning to attend the NSS convention in PA next year. Looking forward to my future in caving and getting to know people in the caving community,
David Noftsier
NNYCaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: David Noftsier
NSS #: 63835

Re: Hailing from Upstate New York

Postby nathanroser » Aug 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Well greetings, I assume you're over in Western NY if you're looking at Niagara Frontier. I'm the current caving chair in the Syracuse University Outing Club and I lead trips just about every weekend so I can get you into caves if you have a means to transport yourself.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby steven.millett » Aug 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi David,

Do you know about the northeast regional oranization of the NSS? Our fall meeting will be up in the adirondacks and a great place for you to meet more local cavers.

http://www.caves.org/region/nro/fallnro2012.htm

I addition to getting involved with your local grotto, you should consider subscribing to the northeastern cave, our quartely magazine

http://www.caves.org/region/nro/necaver.html
steven.millett
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56243
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby NNYCaver » Aug 21, 2012 8:30 pm

@ muddyface- I wasn't sure how active the caving portion of SUOC but apparently you're pretty busy. I'm actually a bit north of Syracuse in the small town of Croghan, Syracuse would be much closer than the NFG. PM on the way about future trips.

@ steven.millet- Great link, I have been looking into the NRO a bit and am definitely interested in attending the fall meeting. Perhaps I'll see you there. Also, the magazine looks like a great source of knowledge and I'm considering a subscription. The back issues would be incredibly useful as well. Thanks for the information!
NNYCaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Welcome, David!

Chuck Porter, editor, publisher, and archivist of the Northeastern Caver would be happy to provide you with back issues. Many are usually available for a song at the NRO during the auction of cave gear, publications, and other paraphernalia.

The fall NRO would be a terrific time to connect with other northeastern cavers and grottos. Hope to see you there!
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby brngk » Aug 22, 2012 8:35 pm

This is perfect, I'm moving to Rochester in the spring and was wondering how I was going to get my cave on.
Too bad I'll miss the NRO :(
brngk
Occasional Poster

Postby NNYCaver » Aug 23, 2012 9:21 pm

@ PYoungbaer- I am planning to attend and will likely be bidding at the auction, sounds like a good deal. I'm really looking forward to meeting other cavers in the area as well, I'll be sure to introduce myself! Thanks for the info
NNYCaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby sscheinfe » Oct 16, 2012 3:14 pm

This is a bit off topic, but...I have been trying to find a few caves my teacher took me to in 7th grade.
They were in the general vicinity of New Paltz, NY...

One of them, we pulled off a main road into a filed of sorts which was sort of in someone's backyard. There was a hole in the ground with a wooden ladder, and about 8 feet down and we were in. It was partially flooded, and was kind of circular if I recall correctly...it was walkable for us 7th graders, just knee high water, with a few cravasses to crawl off the main loop.

The other one, we had to enter through a kind of crack and crawl down slowly...I don't remember more than that...

The third one was in a little valley near an old museum in someone's house...we walked to it, and it was sort of in the side of a hill...we walked until the beginning of high water, then walked back out...there were fall leaves everywhere, it was beautiful.

Some of it may have been near High Falls, NY or Rosendale, NY, all in the general vicinity of New Paltz. We drove through New Paltz then across some bridge and around a ridgeline near a river. This was 20 years ago, so not much more detail than that....

Any hints/leads would be great!!

-Sam
sscheinfe
New Poster

Postby ctcavr » Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Sam:

The first cave you mentioned sounds a lot like Pompey's Cave, very well known in the area and open for visitation (though it will seem much smaller these days). The second description doesn't give much info at all. The third one sounds like the Widow Jane cement mine at the Century House Museum.

ctcavr
ctcavr
Infrequent Poster

Postby harrym » Nov 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Upstate NEW YORK!

Great to place live and great people! Welcome and enjoy!

Former Niagara Frontier Grotto caver,
Harry
Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Actually Pompey's may be big much bigger than he recalls depending on his age since a lot more was discovered about 20 years ago.

Anyway, if you're in the Albany-Troy area luck me up.

Eagle Cave btw, is one of my favorite caves in upstate NY. It's so unlike most other caves in NY. I also recall when you it had ice in it year-round.

Also, keep in mind next summer is the Week Long Cave Rescue class right here in upstate NY.

Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby harrym » Dec 14, 2012 8:52 am

The first time I went caving in New York, we were standing around a small cave entrance and our guide started handing out business cards.

I asked, "Why are you giving us business cards?"

He replied, "Those aren't business cards -- they're cave maps."
Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby LukeM » Dec 14, 2012 9:38 am

Not sure if this is funny because the map fit on a business card sized piece of paper or because very few NY caves require a map. I'll go with both.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317

Postby nathanroser » Dec 15, 2012 10:04 pm

You oughta see the map for Lester's Garden of Eden Cave, you'd never fit that on a business card.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848

Return to Caver Introductions