Dragonflies

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Dragonflies

Postby tncaver » Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Tonight I noticed a score of dragonflies flying around my back yard, and they reminded me of bats looking for insects to eat. The way
they were flying resembled bats and they were out just an hour before dark. So, I looked it up on the internet. It seems that dragonflies
are carnivores and they eat other flying insects just like bats. They are amazing to watch. After dark the dragonflies will presumably
go away and bats will take up where they left off.

http://www.dragonfly-site.com/what-do-d ... s-eat.html
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Dragonflies

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 26, 2012 6:58 pm

A few days ago I was taking out the recycling, and I saw this baby sitting on my driveway. Apparently it was cold because it didn't move while I snapped it's portrait. It did move when I tried to move the locust leaf out from under him (so he wasn't dead).

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: Dragonflies

Postby Dave Luckins » Sep 27, 2012 6:19 am

Dragonflies almost ruined my Canadian Fly-In fishing trip this summer. We had a major hatch while we were ther and the walleyes lost all interest in our lures in favor of chowing down on the newly hatched dragonflies. It became a struggle to catch fish in an area where they are usually so polite that they jump in the boat to save you having to work to catch them.

It was cool to see thousands of drgonflies resting on the water, drying their wings before taking off.

Dave Luckins
Dave Luckins
Frequent Poster

Name: Dave Luckins
NSS #: 14010
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Michigan Interlakes Grotto

Return to Open Talk Forum