New member in the PNW

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New member in the PNW

Postby Zeke » Sep 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Howdy all,

Well about me, I like pretty much anything that gets me outside. Climbing, fishing, shooting, hiking, and biking are my main hobbies, or life. Along with whatever else my add has me into at the moment. I,ve been caving since I was a kid, mostly lava tubes with the stray mine thrown in. I wrote a list inspired by the mens journal of things to do this summer and had some random things on there one of which was to find my way out of a cave with a book of matches. So a buddy and I went to a cave that I knew didnt branch with no major drops. We each held an end of a 3 foot tether and crawled out a little less than a mile, and we made it wtihout using a full book. We did get some strange looks from a fellow group of spelunkers on our trip. Them "Uhh did you guys break your lights, you need to carry more than one". Us " no we're fine just trying to get out without one". Them "why?". Us "we're strange". Anyway thanks for having me here, I'll probably join the local grotto(Portland) when I get back from a climbing trip. Would love to raft to a cave or climb to gain entrance to one. Have a good one all. Zeke
Zeke
Infrequent Poster

Re: New member in the PNW

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Welcome to Cave Chat! :waving:

OK, that's a first for me, your book-of-matches project. I can understand trying to accomplish a challenge. I hope you did have some light in reserve in case matches thing didn't work out. I guess I can't recommend that kind of a challenge because in the low light, you increase your risk of injury.

Anyhow, I hope it works out that you meet up with the Portland Grotto and maybe you can find some fun projects that are challenges in and of themselves! :cavingrocks: :cave softly:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: New member in the PNW

Postby Zeke » Sep 23, 2012 1:12 am

Ha yes we both had several lights, we used them on the way in. Just found our way out with the matches. Rockpiles were our only real obstacles on the way out, and we had on hardhats gloves and protective clothing.
Zeke
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions