DistoX Drift Rates

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

DistoX Drift Rates

Postby Spike » Aug 28, 2012 8:44 am

I am looking for data demostating repeatability of DistoX readings against a known standard over the period of days. I would prefer to know how abused the instrument was between readings aswell.
Spike
Prolific Poster

Re: DistoX Drift Rates

Postby WVCaver2011 » Aug 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Im sure you've probably already seen this but just in case...viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12059&start=45

There's some data in there that may help you if you havent seen it yet. The graph data starts on page 4.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby LWB » Sep 15, 2012 8:11 pm

I recommend that Disto Xs (the A3 version) be calibrated monthly. I haven't had the opportunity to test at weekly intervals, but most of the time we calibrate a day or two before use and haven't normally used a Disto X for more than a week after a calibration anyway.

The general rule of thumb is that if the FS/BS don't agree, check the reader for interference first and if FS/BS still don't match (within your standard), assume the calibration is bad for one reason or another (old calibration, instrument has been dropped, been too close to large magnetic field, batteries dying, or ???) and switch to your Suuntos. NEVER use a Disto X without taking backsights - you will never know if something goes bad with your calibration. Mostly I have found that when an instrument starts having trouble with backsights agreeing (and the cal is new and was working fine) the batteries are running low. Although the magnetic fields of lithium batteries change less than other types, they change rather rapidly when they are running low.

This is what I have seen in previous testing. There is a slow spreading of the azimuth data. The elevation data doesn't change much (as you might expect). The graphs are Disto X compared to Theodolite data, error in Az and El plotted. If you can't read the scale, it is in 0.5 degree increments (plot from +2 degrees to -2 degrees.

LWB
Prolific Poster

Postby LWB » Sep 16, 2012 1:44 pm

WVCaver2011 wrote:Im sure you've probably already seen this but just in case...viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12059&start=45

There's some data in there that may help you if you haven't seen it yet. The graph data starts on page 4.

This data is for the DXT Disto X (the new prototype) that is still having problems. Does not apply to the Leica A3 based Disto Xs. The "drift" on the A3 Disto X is quite slow - over weeks, not hours. The source of magnetic interference on the DXT has not be identified yet.

The post above this one shows plots how the A3 calibration deteriorates over a month or two.
LWB
Prolific Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum