Climbing Harness and Seat Harness Difference

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Climbing Harness and Seat Harness Difference

Postby KWW » Aug 24, 2012 10:05 pm

So, I am fairly new to caving and vertical rope work. Every piece of gear I decide on has feature after feature to decide on. This is a considerable slow and challenging process. Well I am now considering my seat harness for repelling and climbing. I am getting tired of borrowing gear all the time, even just to practice with. But my issue is, determining the difference between a seat harness and a climbing harness. I understand that the ascension system I use will have a bearing on the harness I ultimately decide on, but there is so little information about all the different models that I'm not exactly sure what I am specifically looking for in the design that makes it a seat harness rather than a climbing harness. I also plan to try on the different models before making an actual purchase. I just want to have a few in mind so I can alleviate time with research. Any help would be much appreciated.
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Re: Climbing Harness and Seat Harness Difference

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 24, 2012 10:56 pm

climbing harness = rock climbing. NOT caving. While you can make it work, it sucks
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby KWW » Aug 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Right! But, what is the difference between the two, is my question.
KWW
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 25, 2012 12:43 am

Most caving harnesses are basically the same. Low d ring attachment in the center of your pelvis. Rock climbing harnesses have sewn loops for the attachment point. If you frog you need a caving harness witha d ring. You should get a d ring harness regardless for caving. IMO.

As for the different harnesses they are all about personal comfort and style. Like anything else.

I use the onrole1 Goliath expedition harness. I like it. It's my first caving harness. When I wear it our I'll get another.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shibumi » Aug 25, 2012 7:35 am

Chad covered the basics and I'll add that climbing harnesses are principally designed to keep you upright during a fall on belay. Caving harness are primarily designed to be used in conjunction with a climbing system and as such it is easier to flip upside down in them. Some caving harness are designed to be minimalistic so they may be worn in cave, but they also may be made out of heavier materials to withstand the abrasion in caves. A lot of caving harnesses hold tighter to the pelvis than climbing harnesses.

A harness is a harness though and there's a lot of crossover depending on the mission application.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 25, 2012 7:40 am

Climbing harnesses are designed to protect you when you fall (catch a fall), caving harnesses are designed to prevent you from falling. That's a generalization but mostly true. Caving harnesses will catch falls but they do it as efficiently or comfortably.

Caving harnesses are designed to be durable and abrasion resistant. Climbing harnesses are designed to be light and comfy.

Caving harnesses are designed to be low-profile, with few things to get caught on stuff. Climbing harnesses are designed to have lots of places to hang things conveniently.

Caving harnesses have low points of attachment, like the D ring. The lower it is, the more efficient the frog system is. Climbing harnesses have a hight point of attachment, to keep climbers more upright while sitting or after a fall.

D'oh, shibumi said most of this while I was typing.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby KWW » Aug 25, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks for all the help guys. It makes more sense to me now. I did go through a lot of threads trying make sure this had not been addressed previously before posting. I have now found a thread someone posted that actually has names and pics of the different caving harnesses. That is very helpful as well.
KWW
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Aug 26, 2012 8:29 am

chynabear wrote:I have now found a thread someone posted that actually has names and pics of the different caving harnesses.

Would you tell the rest of us where this thread is?
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mugger » Aug 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Bob Thrun wrote:
chynabear wrote:I have now found a thread someone posted that actually has names and pics of the different caving harnesses.

Would you tell the rest of us where this thread is?

Most likely this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9329&start=15#p77803 :kewl:
Mugger
Occasional Poster

Name: Hans
NSS #: 61554
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shasta Area Grotto

Return to On Rope!