M-System, "Fastest SRT system in the world"

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: M-System, "Fastest SRT system in the world"

Postby NZcaver » Aug 6, 2012 3:22 pm

Vertigo wrote:...Here's my experience listed in order by climb rate speed...

OK, I give up. What's a FrogWorm? Something like a Frog-walker or Frog-hopper? And the Murphy..? :question:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 6, 2012 3:51 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Vertigo wrote:...Here's my experience listed in order by climb rate speed...

OK, I give up. What's a FrogWorm? Something like a Frog-walker or Frog-hopper? And the Murphy..? :question:

The Murphy is the system you use when everything else that could go wrong with your system has.

:-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Aug 6, 2012 4:06 pm

Stridergdm wrote:The Murphy is the system you use when everything else that could go wrong with your system has.

:lmao:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Vertigo » Aug 8, 2012 10:56 am

:rofl: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Frogworm is a frog with croll attached to chest harness(high), footloop with an added croll on it below the chest croll and roller, and a pantin/foot ascender on the other foot. Cross between Mitchell and Frog and sort of..like an inchworm system, but not really. Murphy system is just what Stridergdm said, it was "invented" when Dan Twilley forgot his upper ascender to his mitchell one day. Shrewsbury gave his to Twilley, and then used an extra foot ascender he just happened to have to make a system to climb Incredible pit in Ellisons. It is a Texas with a foot ascender on one foot, and a chest roller, and it is fast, although for me, uncomfortable after several thousand feet because foot ascenders tend to slightly twist my foot. At least all the ones I've tried so far. I know there's got to be countless more systems I'd love to try out, but I've only used these so far and a knot system that wasn't too bad in practice tree.
Vertigo
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Downundercaver » Aug 8, 2012 10:58 am

It looks to me as if he designed this system for speed and that alone. God i wish passing knots in the rope etc was that quick and easy.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Mcalpine

Previous

Return to On Rope!