Cave under Father'sFarm would like to see map

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Cave under Father'sFarm would like to see map

Postby Jettwhite » Jul 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Growing up in East TN, I loved to go into caves with friends. I usually got into trouble because my mother did not feel this was a safe hobby. My father also had a passion for "caving"and would sometimes let me go with him. He taught us to respect the cave and nature in general.
Now 30 years later, I find I would like to go into this cave that I never got to see yet have walked over it for 50 plus years.
The problem is I only know of two entrances and one was closed with rocks by one owner and the other entrance has been sealed by another owner. My father has been in the cave and indicated it was quite large with many rooms. I never had the courage to ask the owner for permission, but I just might have to ask.
Is there by chance a book with pictures of caves. I could view the cave this way and not even have to ask.
Last edited by Jettwhite on Jun 1, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jettwhite
Infrequent Poster

Re: Cave under Father'sFarm would like to see map

Postby tncaver » Jul 27, 2012 8:51 am

jettwhite,
I suggest asking each landowner about entering their cave. Acquire a landowner release form available below and offer it to the
landowner. I also suggest telling each landowner about Tennessee's landowner protection act also linked below. Copy each off
the internet and print them out. If those fail to gain you access then you may want to consider digging in that sinkhole. But
you will most likely need help and advice from your local grotto which should be listed on the NSS main page links.
http://webwhisper.com/tcs/landowner%20release.pdf
http://www.scci.org/Preserves/laws/tnliability.html
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

What county is the cave in? This will help us narrow down who might have experience in the area and who might be able to help you.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby trogman » Jul 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Jettwhite,
I get the impression that the possible entrance/sinkhole is on your or your father's land. Is that correct?

I looked in my copy of "Caves of Tennesse" and did not find any "Dripping Cave," or anything even similar. I am sure there are some TCS members on this forum; they will have access to the data for TN and can help you figure out if it is or ever was on the listing. If the sink is filled in with rocks, it may be possible to open it back up, although it might require a backhoe. Good luck!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm

There is a Dripping Cave in the Tennessee Cave Survey list and also several other Dripping this or that names. Several different
counties.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Jul 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Sounds like it is south southwest of Jefferson City which would make it in ah...Jefferson County.

I always thought Carson Newman should have a caving club.

I am 60 miles away if you want me to come over some day. I will waltz right up to the owners door and ask for access (that would be my Tennessee Waltz). Just hit that PM button. Some other's, like Flittermice, may be operating closer to there right now. I would yield to them or we'll go together.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby Jettwhite » Jul 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Being an alum of Carson Newman, I totally agree there should have been a caving club.
Last edited by Jettwhite on Jun 1, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jettwhite
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jettwhite » Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Sorry if this posts twice. As an alum of CNC, I concur that Carson Newman should have a club. Y
Last edited by Jettwhite on Jun 1, 2015 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jettwhite
Infrequent Poster

Postby tncaver » Jul 28, 2012 6:02 am

Jettwhite,
Check your private messages. I sent you some information.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jettwhite » Jul 28, 2012 9:50 am

Sorry for the double posts. Thanks for the info. At least I know the cave has been listed in some book. All owners with entrances are very protective of it. I just might have to join a grotto group. I currently live in Middle TN and the only ones I can find are about an hour away. Most of the caves that I have been in were on private land (we did have owners permission) and wasn't as organized as a group event. The formations were breathtaking though. There are quite a few caves under Cherokee Lake and Douglas Lake. A class mate who taught scuba diving lessons actually got lost in an underwater cave. There were three of them, but they got separated and only two made it back. So sad.
Jettwhite
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jul 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Sounds like it's the Dripping Springs entrance of Nunley Mountain Cave. One of the entrances was closed off, I believe after an accident there. The cave is still being surveyed. Contact Julianne Ramsey, she is the owner of one entrance. She is am NSS member.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Jettwhite » Jul 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I have still have a lot to learn. I have submitted my request to join the NSS. Now I have got to decide which grotto group for my sons and I to join. We live in MIddle TN area.
Jettwhite
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions