Oahu caving hopeful

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Oahu caving hopeful

Postby cavemun » Jul 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to the world of caving. I live on Oahu and was hoping to gather information about caves on the island. I know there aren't many caves here, or at least ones that are common knowledge but I believe there are many that are out there waiting to be explored. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to exploring the site further and learning a lot! :waving:
cavemun
New Poster

Re: Oahu caving hopeful

Postby NZcaver » Jul 23, 2012 10:08 am

Welcome to the forum.

I lived on Oahu back in 2006/2007. About the only easily accessible caves I know of on Oahu are near Kaena Point in the west. Kaneana Cave is right by the road, and although not very extensive it is probably the most well-known. If you decide to do the Keana Point coastal hike at the end of the road, take a headlamp as there's another small cave right on the trail near the point. You can't miss it. The nearby albatross colony is pretty cool too, and you may see some whales and sea lions.

The Big Island is a different story, and as you may know it contains many of the longest and deepest lava tube systems in the world. One little easily accessible public cave is right by the road at Kaumana Cave State Park. It would also be well worth your time to visit the southern part of the island, and go to Kula Kai Caverns. Not just a small "tourist" cave operation, this is also a major hub for project caving on Hawaii and the home of the Cave Conservancy of Hawaii.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Caver Introductions