Great Caving Boots

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Great Caving Boots

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 27, 2012 3:07 pm

To answer your question below, yes these boots you pictured below have the same bottom soles that the Men's XTP have. It is great traction!

cavergirl wrote:
Smells_Familiar wrote:I bought these boots locally a few months ago but haven't caved in them yet. I bought them from a bricks and mortar http://www.tractorsupply.com/-640011999

they only come in men's sizes. :(
they have these for women
http://www.tractorsupply.com/-104907399
apparently they only come in pink (ugh). I wonder if they have the same bottom soles as the men's boots.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 27, 2012 3:10 pm

cavergirl wrote:
Smells_Familiar wrote:I bought these boots locally a few months ago but haven't caved in them yet. I bought them from a bricks and mortar http://www.tractorsupply.com/-640011999

they only come in men's sizes. :(
they have these for women
http://www.tractorsupply.com/-104907399
apparently they only come in pink (ugh). I wonder if they have the same bottom soles as the men's boots.

My feet are too big to fit in women's boots. So I have to wear mens. So I never get fun colors (like pink) and patterns (like ponies). :sadbanana:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby wendy » Apr 3, 2012 8:42 am

I ended up getting these. Had to order them online because Sports Authority didn't have the purple ones in stock. Went to 2 caves this past weekend and so far so good. The first cave had to climb down break down and back up in a quarry just to get to the cave. The 2nd cave had boot sucking mud and I only lost my boot once, which happens no matter what you wear in there. The boots were EXTREMELY comfortable. My feet were the only part of my body that didn't hurt after this weekend. They are a thin neoprene inside with a clear vinyl looking outside.

http://www.kamik.com/GenfootWeb/servlet ... curRow=10#
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 3, 2012 10:07 am

Fancy! How much did you pay?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 3, 2012 2:06 pm

BrianFrank wrote:
junkman wrote:Damn, it looks like they don't fit my feet. I wear 8 1/2 EEEE's

My feet are triple wide 9's. I went up to 10's and they fit just fine with no discomfort.

I have the opposite problem -- super-narrow feet (12A typically, though B or sometimes C works). I'd love to try out wellies/muck-boots but have never found 'em made in narrow sizes, and typical widths pop right off my feet :-(
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby wendy » Apr 5, 2012 11:11 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Image

Fancy! How much did you pay?

I think with shipping they were $35. I had to look online for the best price. My sports authority had the red ones and the black ones on sale for $25.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 9, 2012 2:28 am

Coincidentally, I just watched a mini-documentary on the science channel about how Kamik make those boots. Very interesting. :kewl: Amazing what you see when you've got the TV on for background noise. Bad habit. :big grin:

I haven't tried those Kamiks, but I have their 40-below boots for non-caving winter use. They're comfortable and lightweight, but I need to find something warmer.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby davantalus » May 25, 2012 6:37 pm

You boot people are weird. Have fun walking 8 miles in those. I'll be dancing with SquirrelGirl in comical canyoneering boots.

davantalus
Occasional Poster

Name: Dav Angel
NSS #: 63392
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SoCal Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » May 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Put a couple inches of sloppy mud on that slope and try it again.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby LukeM » May 29, 2012 8:18 am

Those look cool but to spend $175 dollars on a pair of boots you'd have to prove to me they would last through about 10 years of hard caving. I've covered several miles of cave in a day with my $30 rubber boots (with insoles) without issue.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby BenS » Jul 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Has anyone tried the Etche "Caving" Boots? I was looking up some stuff and came across those and "Joop" boots on http://www.starlessriver.com/shop/footweargloves It seems like they have a very good price on joop boots although I haven't looked at shipping cost yet. Does anyone have any experience ordering from that website?
BenS
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Skinner
NSS #: 64281

Postby Lava » Jul 20, 2012 6:14 pm

BenS wrote:Has anyone tried the Etche "Caving" Boots? I was looking up some stuff and came across those and "Joop" boots on http://www.starlessriver.com/shop/footweargloves It seems like they have a very good price on joop boots although I haven't looked at shipping cost yet. Does anyone have any experience ordering from that website?

Yep, I've been using those for years now, they are great. I also own the low-top/tied version (aka "Joop Boots"), but I don't like them nearly as much as the high boots. That is an amazing price for them. The shipping is probably pretty high though.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby BenS » Jul 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Yeah I checked out the shipping price and it ends up costing just under $80 total for the "Joop" boots (Under $70 once you log in it seems). The others are actually cheaper. Their shipping policy and price for the US isn't exact though, so if it costs less to ship they will refund you. I was wondering what you thought about the grip on the high top boots in comparison to the "Joop" boots. Also any experience trying to climb in them?
BenS
Frequent Poster

Postby Lava » Jul 21, 2012 2:43 pm

The two boots are exactly the same except one has laces, so the grip/tread is identical. In my experience the traction is great on most surfaces, especially on mud. I have done numerous short climbs in them while in caves, and they worked great there too. Obviously they aren't rock shoes, but they are all around quite sticky.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby BenS » Jul 22, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks I really appreciate you sharing your experience with them. I didn't think I would find anyone that had experience with both boots.
BenS
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum