Vertical Contest Sit Stand ?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Vertical Contest Sit Stand ?

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jun 20, 2012 10:44 am

NZcaver wrote:If you're climbing with a heavy pack (eg multi-day trip, lots of camera gear, rope bags, etc), you will lose efficiency big-time. As you stand up, the bungy will stretch because of the weight of extra equipment hanging off your central screw link. Therefore the Croll will only move up the rope a small amount with every climb stroke. From personal experience, I can assure you this is rather tiresome and frustrating.

Thanks guys for the information. Jason recommends when using the bungee if you are hauling a pack up as well to clip the pack to your leg loop on your harness instead of the screw link. He has hauled as much as 40lbs this way and it works much better (for him).
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 20, 2012 3:06 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote:Thanks guys for the information. Jason recommends when using the bungee if you are hauling a pack up as well to clip the pack to your leg loop on your harness instead of the screw link. He has hauled as much as 40lbs this way and it works much better (for him).

Interesting. I'm not usually a fan of clipping stuff to my leg loops but perhaps I'll have to try that some time. The lack of back support and comfort in a "rest" position using the bungy versus a GGG-type H harness was another deal breaker. But for quick and dirty use, and especially a rope climbing contest as the original poster asked about, I would think the bungy would be fine.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am

The bungee is perfect for multi drop caves and when you are on and off rope a lot. It's really more for when you are caving and not pit bouncing.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 21, 2012 9:34 am

UnderGroundEarth wrote:The bungee is perfect for multi drop caves and when you are on and off rope a lot. It's really more for when you are caving and not pit bouncing.

If you get the right bungee you can drop the pit and be out in one step.

Oh, wait, you meant a bungee on the chest harness, not as the rope. Never mind.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Crockett » Jun 22, 2012 6:05 am

Pit bungee jumping sounds like a fund raising alternative to the zip line. Relatively low impact too if the jumping platform can be. I look for this to appear in Mexico first; more pits, less liability. For a little extra you are lowered to the pit floor for a photo op before being winched back out. Really this is shaping up to be a bad idea and I hope it doesn't catch on.

The discussion here makes me wonder if a bungee connection from the top ascender to the croll works. I would try but I have nothing packed for Convention and little time to do so.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Previous

Return to On Rope!