Petzl "Top Croll" Version Chest Ascender

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Petzl "Top Croll" Version Chest Ascender

Postby driggs » Jun 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I was flipping through Petzl's industrial vertical catalog and happened upon a version of their industrial chest harness with integrated chest ascender, the Top Croll.

This appears to be a different version of the ascender than the B16 Croll that we know and love, apparently modified with a wide chest strap attachment hole that fits 2" webbing. I can't find any reference to this different Croll version as an individual part, nor a photo of it without the sewn webbing attachment to the Top chest harness; in fact, even the Top Croll technical note uses illustrations from the B16 Croll's documentation.

My interest is in trying to see if this variation of the Croll would allow the Serpentine chest harness to thread entirely through the larger upper attachment hole, which doesn't seem to work on the Croll intended for sport use.

Does anyone know anything else about this variation of the Croll?
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: Petzl "Top Croll" Version Chest Ascender

Postby gdstorrick » Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 7, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby PeterFJohnson » Jun 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Dave,

That version of the croll is designed to be built into Petzl's Navaho Bod Croll Fast Harness or the Top Croll Chest Harness(Could someone at Petzl please work on some better names?)

It is nearly identical to the normal croll save for the top attachment point as well as the sewn in webbing. You could easily cut out that webbing. I can't say whether you could thread a serpentine chest harness through it but I don't see any reason why not. That top attachment point is certainly strong - the way the harness is designed any fall onto the sternal attachment point would transfer all the energy through the croll to the harness. So that top attachment point would have to support a fall.

Contact Petzl and ask about ordering professional spare parts. Right now the list of spare parts on their website returns a page not found. But it is my understanding that they do sell that croll(webbing attached) individually as a spare part for those times when the croll wears out before the harness. Alternatively, If you let me know quickly I can pick one up from a Petzl distributor in Denver I know and bring it with me to the convention/GV fieldhouse. You can reimburse me then. I leave for the east coast tomorrow night though...

Otherwise you should be able to order it. I also imagine that Karst Sports has them as well if you call - I believe they do quite a bit of business on the industrial side.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby driggs » Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm

PeterFJohnson wrote:Contact Petzl and ask about ordering professional spare parts. Right now the list of spare parts on their website returns a page not found. But it is my understanding that they do sell that croll(webbing attached) individually as a spare part for those times when the croll wears out before the harness. Alternatively, If you let me know quickly I can pick one up from a Petzl distributor in Denver I know and bring it with me to the convention/GV fieldhouse. You can reimburse me then. I leave for the east coast tomorrow night though...

Otherwise you should be able to order it. I also imagine that Karst Sports has them as well if you call - I believe they do quite a bit of business on the industrial side.

Thanks for the offer Pete, but KarstSports is a great idea... it just so happens that my office is about 3 minutes from their new warehouse. They show the entire Top Croll harness in stock, the 8mm delta with plastic anti-rotation bar, but not the special Croll individually. At least I can stop by and have a look at it in situ.

I may swing by the fieldhouse Friday night or Saturday afternoon; if I don't see you there, I'll be glad to catch up with you at Convention!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Jun 19, 2012 8:31 pm

gdstorrick wrote:I don't have one.

Yet.

Gary, you only get one guess as to where I checked before I searched Petzl's official website for this Croll. :laughing:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Jun 20, 2012 7:34 am

A replacement top croll will have to include the sternal attachment along with the sewn webbing. The top croll, webbing link and sternal D-ring are a unit. See image:
I am only aware of Pet$l $elling the Top Croll as a chest harness set for big $$$, but I may be wrong.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Return to On Rope!