What else are you interested in ??

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What else are you interested in ??

Postby shibumi » Jun 6, 2012 2:32 pm

Caving is not a hobby for me, it is my life. Something like 16,000 hours of my life have been spent caving.

My only real hobby is guns and shooting which I do almost daily. I do a little hiking/backpacking not associated with caving. I hunt, but it's not a hobby, it's for food. I do a little photography but again, not as a hobby per se.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rebelfirefighter » Jun 6, 2012 3:42 pm

I am really big into Civil War reenacting. I also hunt, fish, go hiking, relic hunting, and chase my two year old.

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby RD Milhollin » Jun 6, 2012 11:45 pm

Underwater Hockey

No seriously, I will play on a team at the Nationals tournament at George Mason University the three days before the NSS Convention this year.

Actually looking for a ride to the Convention site Sunday afternoon/evening from around Vienna VA. Anyone going my way?
"We Have Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself"
RD Milhollin
Infrequent Poster

Name: RD Milhollin
NSS #: 29962
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cowtown Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Jun 7, 2012 7:21 am

Since returning to Delaware 20 odd years ago caving has been reduced to occasional trips to TAG. Otherwise, sailing/boating has been a passion of mine since I was a little kid growing up on the Chesapeake. We've sailed 40' catamarans in the British Virgin Islands and Granada, charted two barges thru the canals of France and also charted mono-hulls a few times on our beloved Chesapeake Bay.

As a youngster I was fascinated by geology and also collected minerals. I have no doubt that led to my love of caves and caving. Imagine my surprise inside Berry's Cave in Mo. to watch as cavers came from inside the cave! They were from the Rolla School of Mines and they told me about the NSS.

Almost any technology dealing with computers interests me, but mainly that with relational database technology.

Finally, working within a large organization like the NSS is also very satisfying, most of the time. :grin:
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Gumby » Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm

I love to design, and build wood strip canoes and kayaks.

never kick a cow turd on a hot day.
Gumby
Occasional Poster

Name: Kevin Kealey
NSS #: 63378

Postby Dave Luckins » Jun 19, 2012 5:31 am

For me it's sailing (we have a 27-foot Catalina), back packing, fly fishing, and traveling. Having been raised in Canada--I am infected with the Hockey gene...that sort of defines my winter season.
Dave Luckins
Frequent Poster

Name: Dave Luckins
NSS #: 14010
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Michigan Interlakes Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 19, 2012 5:33 am

Gumby wrote:I love to design, and build wood strip canoes and kayaks.

That's gorgeous!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 19, 2012 6:06 am

Gumby wrote:I love to design, and build wood strip canoes and kayaks.

Is that suede on the seats? Classy! :clap:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby tagkycaver » Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Pitting?
tagkycaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17845
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville

Postby Mudduck » Jun 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Its amazes me the similarities. I too kayak, avid hiker and camper. Drag racing is something I've Ben doing for 25 years. Sold my last car a couple years back. Sold my Busa last year as bike RA Inc was getting out of hand where I live. Building my daughter a caged 95 mustang right now. I used to like to fly until my grandfather died then I sold my plane. He had been flying since the thirties. Wasn't the same after he died. Recently got back into dirt bike riding.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby The Seeker » Aug 1, 2013 9:34 pm

I have been getting into rock climbing although I haven't done any "real" outdoor rock climbing yet. Have been going sporadically to an indoor rock climbing gym with some discounted limited-visit passes I obtained. As soon as I get a more permanent source of income I will likely invest more into that interest. I also enjoy attending as many live music concerts and festivals featuring bands I listen to as often I can. The last band I saw perform was Metallica at Orion Music and More and the next concert I will be attending is Nine Inch Nails.

My other passions in life are art and technology - hence why I realized I was born to be an artist and graphic designer.
The Seeker
Infrequent Poster

Postby cave rat » Jun 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Guitars, music, Electronics(anything dealing with sound systems and two-way communication equipment), fishing.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby karlsjr » Jul 2, 2014 12:16 pm

The Seeker wrote:. I also enjoy attending as many live music concerts and festivals featuring bands I listen to as often I can. The last band I saw perform was Metallica at Orion Music and More and the next concert I will be attending is Nine Inch Nails.

How was that Nine Inch Nails concert? I used to try to attend concerts and shows, I was a big NIN nerdo. If I'm not out caving then you can usually find me at home tangled in some yarn or thread. I love to crochet, knit and sew. I used to make costumes for myself and anyone that wanted help. I try to go on hikes with my pup, but in the summer that seems to happen less.
Now that work has slowed down a bit, I have some time to browse these forums and read a bit. Hopefully it picks up soon.
karlsjr
Infrequent Poster

Name: Karla
NSS #: 64769
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Mesilla Valley Grotto and Gypsy Underground Grotto

Postby muddymike » Jul 2, 2014 9:10 pm

It was interesting noticing the similarities in activities, I too kayak tour / fish (very frequently), live part time on our central KY lakes, dabble in photography, 2-way radios, and firefighter gear.
muddymike
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 65589

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum