Spectacles

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Spectacles

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

Glasses are a pain in the ass to cave with. At least mine haven't been scratched beyond use yet. I thought about contacts, but with all the digging I always wind up with dirt inside my eyelids... Would be worse behind a contact lens. Besides, I hear they even fog up like glasses...

I've been caving, especially digging now without any glasses for a while. But this makes me feel like I am missing out on fine details of the cave, which I am.

I am just curious as to any ways some other cavers have adapted to this. For now I carry them in a hard case and throw them on when I need to look at something detailed, but I am looking for a better solution.

Anyone ever tried the durable sports glasses? :shrug:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Re: Spectacles

Postby Scott McCrea » May 31, 2012 7:38 pm

I cave in contacts. I carry a spare pair and spare glasses. I've never had to use either (knock on wood). I dig, crawl, swim, ascend in waterfalls, etc with my contacts and never had a real issue. However, my buddy, he is always having trouble with his. Last trip, he lost one before we were even 50' in the cave. I think his lenses do not fit properly. Anyway, you should try the contacts. They work well for me.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 31, 2012 7:47 pm

I carry a small cloth in my dry pack to clean off my glasses. I've tried contacts too and didn't really like them.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby caverdan » May 31, 2012 8:45 pm

I too have had contacts and didn't like them for the dry caves we dig in around here. I always buy safety glasses and highly recommend them to cave in. I got the last couple pairs from Sam's and payed like 420something for two pairs plus some delux perscription sun glasses. Wallyworld....all the optical stores carry them. I have a dedicated pair I use just for caving. You could pack the good pair in a hard case and use them for the big rooms!!! :rofl: :rofl: Keep your oldest pair in your cave pack in that good hard case so you can switch um out and not scratch up the good ones. I've got some old side shields if you want to try um on your frames. :yikes:

I've found in my old age.....if my glasses are fogg'in.....I'm working at something too hard. :shhh: If I had in contacts.....I'd never know. :sadbanana:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Lava » Jun 1, 2012 10:30 am

I caved in glasses for years until one day in Wind Cave the humidity and temp was just right such that my glasses kept fogging up no matter what I did. I basically had to be led out of the cave, which was totally embarrassing. I switched to contacts, and while they suck to put in (I only wear them when caving), the experience while caving is far superior. They definitely don't fog up, that's not true. I also have not had any dirt fall into my eyes since I started using them (10 years or so now), but probably because I am much more careful to avoid that than I used to be.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby boogercaver71 » Jun 1, 2012 10:47 am

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:Glasses are a pain in the ass to cave with. At least mine haven't been scratched beyond use yet. I thought about contacts, but with all the digging I always wind up with dirt inside my eyelids... Would be worse behind a contact lens. Besides, I hear they even fog up like glasses...

I've been caving, especially digging now without any glasses for a while. But this makes me feel like I am missing out on fine details of the cave, which I am.

I am just curious as to any ways some other cavers have adapted to this. For now I carry them in a hard case and throw them on when I need to look at something detailed, but I am looking for a better solution.

Anyone ever tried the durable sports glasses? :shrug:

Yes I tried them once. I bought a pair that was treated with anti fogging stuff. They fogged faster than my regular glasses.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Smells_Familiar » Jun 1, 2012 4:59 pm

I've found that you can "clean" your glasses with the foamy type of shaving cream (Barbasol type) and it greatly reduces fogging issues. Rub it in, let it dry, and buff it off. Works great! However, this may have a detrimental effect on anti-reflective or scratch resistant coatings, I don't know. I've also heard that glycerine works well when applied similarly.
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby JR-Orion » Jun 5, 2012 12:02 pm

I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about this anti-fog treatment. Yes, it's called Cat Crap-

http://www.amazon.com/Ek-123625-Cat-Cra ... roduct_top
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby trogman » Jun 5, 2012 12:20 pm

The only time I have issues with my glasses fogging is when I first enter the cave. This is especially true in the wintertime, when the air in the cave is relatively warm and my glasses are cold; as soon as they warm up the fog is gone.
The really big issues for me are water(spray, waterfalls, etc), and dirt/mud. Super-wet multi-drop caves are not fun for me. I always carry some eyeglass wipes to deal with the mud and dirt. My eyesight condition doesn't respond well to contacts, otherwise I would gladly go that route.
As far as the "sport glasses," I had a friend who tried them and was totally dissatisfied with the performance.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jun 6, 2012 10:10 am

Scott McCrea wrote:I cave in contacts. I carry a spare pair and spare glasses. I've never had to use either (knock on wood). I dig, crawl, swim, ascend in waterfalls, etc with my contacts and never had a real issue. However, my buddy, he is always having trouble with his. Last trip, he lost one before we were even 50' in the cave. I think his lenses do not fit properly. Anyway, you should try the contacts. They work well for me.

Scott, what kind of contacts do you have? Doctors orders, I have to wear hard lenses and they can be really painful if dust gets in my eyes.

My wife had Lazix and while it restored her vision and relieved her of contact lenses, she is still suffering from painful side effects.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby cavedad » Jun 6, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks for the referral Jasen. Just placed an order for some Cat Crap. I'll try it out during convention and let folks know how it works. I've also suffered the fogged glasses situation for years and had just resigned myself to dealing with it. Hope this stuff works!
cavedad
Occasional Poster

Name: John Meeks
NSS #: 59348
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston

Postby NZcaver » Jun 6, 2012 5:10 pm

For what it's worth, Exxene make an anti-fog liquid called I-99 "Klean n Klear." Available through industrial and safety supply companies. Small bottle, not cheap, but apparently the best you can get. A drop on each side of my ski goggles works fine even at 30 below. They guys working on the North Slope use it.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Caver John » Jun 7, 2012 11:11 pm

I wear contacts and although I occasionally have issues I'd never go back to glasses. However, I do have Wiley X SG1 goggles with interchangeable prescription lenses that would work well in cave. Of coarse they should ways be treated with anti fog.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby KENTO » Jun 28, 2012 12:53 pm

I tried Contact Lenses a couple of times in mid 1980's to early 1990's. About the time I was ready to try them out underground , it seems I had the dumb luck to give myself a corneal abrasion , by the time I healed i'd gotten out of practice with my contacts and just stayed with the glasses. I have had a couple of Kentucky & TAG trips where I was the only one wearing glasses , ( 2 party members wearing contacts ) , with some VERY tense moves by me trying to keep up with the rest of the team with Semi to Totally fogged glasses while stepping across potentially lethal canyon crossings and freeclimbing. All the while watching lights disappear down a passage in a Cave I had never been in before. I kind of got tired of yelling " Hey wait come back "
I have had the pleasure in a dig situation of hearing a Contacts wearer complain of dirt in their eye. I guess the ultimate answer for me would be Contacts with a really good Anti Fog Treated Bulbous Wrap around Sport Goggle Safety Glasses.
Have any Cavers out there had Lasik Surgery? And , did it enhance your caving/climbing experiences once you ruled out dirt in the eyes somehow?
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Jun 28, 2012 2:16 pm

I just dig without them. Dirt in the eyes is inevitable. Especially when your dig style is going ape. Never thought to put catcrap on my glasses, sounds like a good fix. Eyesight is a must, as KENTO mentioned about hairy climbs and manuevs. I'll pass on Lasik, too many horror stories, too much $$. You know, maybe some awkward bulbous safety sport goggles would set us apart from the rest like some BADASSES! :rofl:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Next

Return to Equipment Forum