Smokers in a cave

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Smokers in a cave

Postby Smells_Familiar » May 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Being above ground next to a smoker sucks (unless I'm at a concert or something) let alone being underground in a small "room" with no ventilation and already out of breath because you just crawled your butt off while inhaling about a pound of dirt dust cause you decided to go last through the dry crawl.

It's bad enough being behind a guy in a crawl who won't stop farting and is seeming to enjoy torturing you with his badly maintained bowels,only to pop out into the much anticipated next "room" where three dudes are smoking and you look over to your buddy with a look that says, "let's mosey along" and he just lies there and farts again! Talk about claustrophobic!
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » May 25, 2012 8:31 am

my first experience, and only, with smokers in a cave was in ellisons, at the top of fantastic pit. could smell it all the way from the nuisance climb. nausiating.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » May 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Petty Johns is the ideal cave to visit if you want to experience people smoking in a cave. Almost every time I have been there (probably 10 times) I have come across people smoking. It is a real joy, especially when the barometric pressure is equalized and there is no airflow in/out of the cave.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby crswaff » May 29, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm not a fan! We cleaned up smoker/party mess in PettyJohns durning NCRC. The mess near the z bends was amplified by the lingering smoke residue. If spelunkers could only be educated.
crswaff
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64016
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 30, 2012 9:18 am

I once again question the impact of education upon smokers or litterbugs or imbeciles. If the term spelunker now includes anyone who does anything bad in a cave, we need to examine our adjectival linguistic abilities.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 30, 2012 10:23 am

I think some folks need to read "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 30, 2012 10:56 am

I saw that book on a friend's floor. I was embarassed for him.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be unfriendly. It's just that the "educate people and they'll do the right thing" argument has been repeatedly obliterated by the selfish, uncaring masses.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » May 30, 2012 11:06 am

We won't be educating those that I have seen smoking in Pettyjohns. They are the same people who believe professional wrestling is a real sport.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » May 30, 2012 11:09 am

If you haven't read the book then you shouldn't be feeling sorry for him. Everyone can benefit from the lessons learned in that book. Especially when dealing with people who are ignorant about conservation. Sure you can tell them how stupid they are for smoking in a cave but the goal is to let them realize that themselves without any criticism from the "teacher". That is a skill that most people do not naturally have. Our first reaction is usually along the lines of stupid spelunkers!
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SleazyCriss » May 31, 2012 4:50 am

I don't cave with smokers very often but I must say that when I do I feel sorry for them, they would be such good cavers if they do not smoke, and I don't only mean because of cave pollution but because you can see they breath with more effort than us (non-smokers), I think their bad habits punish them enough.
SleazyCriss
Infrequent Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Jun 2, 2012 10:00 pm

This thread has an insane amount of views...

I know :off topic: , Im just sayin'...
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 2, 2012 10:54 pm

Chads93GT wrote:If you haven't read the book then you shouldn't be feeling sorry for him. Everyone can benefit from the lessons learned in that book. Especially when dealing with people who are ignorant about conservation. Sure you can tell them how stupid they are for smoking in a cave but the goal is to let them realize that themselves without any criticism from the "teacher". That is a skill that most people do not naturally have. Our first reaction is usually along the lines of stupid spelunkers!

I wouldn't dream of telling a smoker, or anyone else (I didn't know :big grin: ) how stupid they were. That wouldn't be polite. I don't even agree with Brian's determination that wrestling fans are incapable of learning. My point was that educating people (crwaff's plaintive dream) will not make them stop smoking or littering. My issues with the book you endorse are mostly based on a probably unfair judgement of the title. The name of the book suggests that winning friends is some sort of phsychological trickery, that with the given formulas one can get what they want out of others. I always thought you got friends by being a decent person. I've never read it, though. Maybe I will.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 3, 2012 10:12 pm

No trickery. But you and I both know that the most important way to get people to like you is how you speak to them. The book simply helps you realize that how you approach certain situations will either win people to your way of thinking or turn them off. It's not a book of tricks. Mainly it helps you polish your speaking skills. Something rather important for business folk. It's worth a read.

I have no problem calling someone smoking, in a cave, they are. An idiot. I used to smoke. It was hard to quit but I did it. Can't stand second hand smoke. In a cave. Horrible.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Jun 4, 2012 9:22 am

Try being in a cave where you have had idiots light a fire to keep themselves warm. You would be wishing it was only cigarette smoke.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby batrotter » Jun 4, 2012 5:19 pm

My gawd, what a bunch of pathetic panty waist whiners on this thread. Considering that a bunch of you are hard core serious cave explorers, you sound like a bunch of screaming little girls.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation Forum