Kavelight P60 Headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Kavelight P60 Headlamp

Postby kevinm » May 17, 2012 1:33 am

Jewel addiction wrote:I was in Lech. with Dave, and yes the light did perform very very well, but I would never say that it "blinded" any Sten user. We compared the two lights side by side in the Keel Hall (a very large room) The "Manly light" haha, as I called it all week, was brighter, but not so much that it made a difference. I would be really interested in purchasing one of your lights if I could get just a couple modifications made to make it suited for my caving style.

And good work there; that climb looked crazy!

I'm glad Dave didn't actually blind anyone. :big grin: The Sten puts out a very respectable 400ish lumens, and really, that more than bright enough most of the time. The Manley Light (I should just give in and start calling it that) is 2-2.5 times as bright. With the logarithmic scale of the eye, you can tell it's brighter, but not so much as to frighten you. If you put the flood module in and crank it up to 2000, it's pretty startling.

You cave faster and lighter than I do, which makes me think you want a smaller battery pack (doable!) for Jewel. Just let me know what you want; I'll see what I can do.

Kevin
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby kevinm » May 21, 2012 12:16 am

I've received a few requests for a battery pack that is smaller (2 cells, rather than 4). The battery box would have a holder as well, so that you could replace the cells anytime you wanted to upgrade and could run on 1 cell. if you desired.

How many would be interested in that option?
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby jeffkruse » May 21, 2012 7:43 am

Not that I am going to purchase one now but I think it would be cool if you use 18650’s like you use AA’s. I mean no soldered battery pack just loose 18650’s that are put in a plastic holder like AA’s.

The reason for this is so you can use the best Protected 18650’s you can buy (3100mAH) and when the new 3400’s come out you could use those. It would also be nice if Un-protected cells could be used.

Very nice light BTW.
jeffkruse
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 62760
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia

Postby kevinm » May 22, 2012 2:35 am

jeffkruse wrote:Not that I am going to purchase one now but I think it would be cool if you use 18650’s like you use AA’s. I mean no soldered battery pack just loose 18650’s that are put in a plastic holder like AA’s.

The reason for this is so you can use the best Protected 18650’s you can buy (3100mAH) and when the new 3400’s come out you could use those. It would also be nice if Un-protected cells could be used.

Very nice light BTW.

That's exactly what's inside that aluminum battery case: a carrier that allows you to use single 18650's. It holds protected or non-protected cells equally well.

Incidentally, you can also use AA's with an optional second battery carrier.
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby NV Guide » May 24, 2012 2:04 pm

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

This will be a great gift for my wife.
NV Guide
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dennis
NSS #: 63893

Postby NZcaver » May 29, 2012 3:13 pm

kevinm wrote:I built one for a buddy going to Mentone next week with 5 levels, no memory, both modules.If you're at NCRC, look for him; he'll be the guy with the goofy grin. :big grin:

The guy with the goofy grin let me play with his headlamp for a few minutes at the NCRC training last week. Very nice!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » May 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Buddy of mine ordered one. Shipped out today. I'll write a review at the end of June when we goto suprise pit.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kevinm » May 30, 2012 11:51 pm

NZcaver wrote:
kevinm wrote:I built one for a buddy going to Mentone next week with 5 levels, no memory, both modules.If you're at NCRC, look for him; he'll be the guy with the goofy grin. :big grin:

The guy with the goofy grin let me play with his headlamp for a few minutes at the NCRC training last week. Very nice!

Thanks! :big grin: Were you teaching or taking Level 3?
Last edited by kevinm on May 30, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » May 30, 2012 11:55 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Buddy of mine ordered one. Shipped out today. I'll write a review at the end of June when we goto suprise pit.

I hope he likes it! He's supposed to try it at a little greater depth...

Surprise sounds like fun. Chad, I'll trade you a headlamp for one of those caves (if you can figure out how to ship it to me).
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby NV Guide » Jun 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Got my light yesterday. First impression, this thing is really well built. Batt holder fits well in the case and connections are tight. Will give a report on actual use next week.

Thanks kevinm.
NV Guide
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dennis
NSS #: 63893

Postby NZcaver » Jun 19, 2012 11:39 pm

kevinm wrote:
NZcaver wrote:

Thanks! :big grin: Were you teaching or taking Level 3?

Sorry Kevin, must have missed your earlier question. I was one of the instructors with the level 1 class this year.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby kevinm » Jun 20, 2012 12:07 am

kevinm wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:Buddy of mine ordered one. Shipped out today. I'll write a review at the end of June when we goto suprise pit.

I hope he likes it! He's supposed to try it at a little greater depth...

Surprise sounds like fun. Chad, I'll trade you a headlamp for one of those caves (if you can figure out how to ship it to me).

So that test didn't go so well...The headlamp had a bit of water in it after being at 12ft of depth for 90 minutes. After it dried out, it was fine, but that took a couple of days. After messing with several of them, I found the culprit. The gasket on the switch is a cork gasket, which works really well...for 30-60 minutes. :doh: I never saw this problem in my initial testing because I only left it in for 30 minutes.

I switched to a neoprene gasket on the switch, which I tested under a couple of feet for 2 days. I also swapped the one under the lens (where there was no leak) with one that has an x cross section, which makes two seals rather than one. And I swapped the original "rust resistant" hinge bolt for one made from 18-8 stainless steel. If you bought one of my lights, I can send you the parts, or I will do the upgrade for you for free!

NVguide and the other reviewer, yours have been upgraded! :big grin:
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » Jun 20, 2012 12:08 am

NZcaver wrote:Sorry Kevin, must have missed your earlier question. I was one of the instructors with the level 1 class this year.

Excellent! I'll look through Jon's photos for you.
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 20, 2012 12:17 am

kevinm wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Sorry Kevin, must have missed your earlier question. I was one of the instructors with the level 1 class this year.

Excellent! I'll look through Jon's photos for you.

Good luck. I'm usually hiding behind the camera.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby kevinm » Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

NV Guide wrote:Got my light yesterday. First impression, this thing is really well built. Batt holder fits well in the case and connections are tight. Will give a report on actual use next week.

Thanks kevinm.

Welcome! I can't wait to see the lava tubes!
kevinm
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum