Kavelight P60 Headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Kavelight P60 Headlamp

Postby potholer » Mar 15, 2012 9:11 pm

kevinm wrote:50% power on flood and 25% on spot would probably be nice, and it would be easy to set a mode that way. I like biased floods too. In CO, so much is small and tight, people like an all flood option.

Though I forward-bias my flood with a tiny reflector anyway, so it's brighter in the central area than a naked LED would be, I find a very small amount of spot (something of the order of 5% of the flood lumens output in a relatively tight spot beam) 'pushes out' the beam without damaging the flood feel - not really an obviously 'blended' beam as such, just a nicer flood.

kevinm wrote:I was thinking of naked [for the flood], but with one of the many new emitters that have an 80 degree beam angle (like the current Zebralights), rather than the 120 of the XM-L. I'm still looking into these, but some are high CRI too. Better color rendition with warmer light, mixed with neutral or cool XM-L for throw would be a good combo. If they turn out not to work, I'll look for some small reflectors.

I'm not sure what's around commercially reflector-wise. Bif started using some for his flood LEDs, but I can't remember if he said he was buying, buying+modifying, or having some made.
At least for experimenting to get an idea of effects on the beam, homemaking some trial ones is not hard, even if maybe a bit fiddly (there are times I wish my fingers were somewhat smaller).
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cmkit » Mar 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Kevin, I really like what I'm seeing here! Unfortunately since this is a new custom light I feel I'm going to need to do more research before making a purchase. I haven't spent time on CPF for 1.5+ years and I feel so out of date! Part of my problem with LED technology is it seems to be advancing at such a rapid pace manufactures have trouble keeping up. A durable housing with easily user upgradable components is appealing to me to keep pace with these updates, but is probably more work than most cavers are up for. Usually I like most cavers just want a light that works well. Figuring out all these other options can be more of a chore that we're looking for. It digs into time that could be spent doing actual caving.

Are you or anyone else going to be representing this light at convention this year? First hand experience with a light means a lot more to me than hours reading others reviews.

One thing I really like about my current primary light the fenix HP10 which I don't see an option for with this current light of yours is a the separate on/off switch, and mode select switch. The magnetic switch of the Sten is quick in getting to the desired brightness, but I find switching to my desired output settings a great annoyance on lights with a single mechanical button. The dual buttons of the HP10 is a nice solution to this problem. Cycling through a bunch of mechanical options which includes turning my light off every time I want to change brightness can be a real annoyance.

A good flood is also quite important to me as many of the lights I've used give me too narrow a field of view.

I like the idea of calling your lights Manley lights :wink:
Grotto locator and kml files: http://cmkit.blogspot.com/
cmkit
Infrequent Poster

Name: Carlin Kartchner
NSS #: 60593

Postby kevinm » Mar 19, 2012 12:51 am

potholer wrote:Though I forward-bias my flood with a tiny reflector anyway, so it's brighter in the central area than a naked LED would be, I find a very small amount of spot (something of the order of 5% of the flood lumens output in a relatively tight spot beam) 'pushes out' the beam without damaging the flood feel - not really an obviously 'blended' beam as such, just a nicer flood.

I'm not sure what's around commercially reflector-wise. Bif started using some for his flood LEDs, but I can't remember if he said he was buying, buying+modifying, or having some made.
At least for experimenting to get an idea of effects on the beam, homemaking some trial ones is not hard, even if maybe a bit fiddly (there are times I wish my fingers were somewhat smaller).

I usually like a bit more spot than that (5%) in my flood for exactly that reason: a little more reach. I'll play around with the reflectors I have sitting here (10 or so; I spend too much time playing with lights too :big grin: ) and see what works well. Those on the flood module on the Custom Duos are nice. Bif does good work. Thanks for the advice!

Kevin
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby kevinm » Mar 19, 2012 1:07 am

Hey Carlin! I haven't seen you since we went caving in Lime Creek; how's it going?

cmkit wrote:Kevin, I really like what I'm seeing here! Unfortunately since this is a new custom light I feel I'm going to need to do more research before making a purchase. I haven't spent time on CPF for 1.5+ years and I feel so out of date! Part of my problem with LED technology is it seems to be advancing at such a rapid pace manufactures have trouble keeping up. A durable housing with easily user upgradable components is appealing to me to keep pace with these updates, but is probably more work than most cavers are up for. Usually I like most cavers just want a light that works well. Figuring out all these other options can be more of a chore that we're looking for. It digs into time that could be spent doing actual caving.

Thanks. I doubt lots of people will upgrade every year, or even every two. This way, they have the option to do so or not; their choice. That's not an option for most people right now. Also, I'll keep up (I'm a lighting nerd :grin: ), and I'm always happy to give lighting advice.

cmkit wrote:Are you or anyone else going to be representing this light at convention this year? First hand experience with a light means a lot more to me than hours reading others reviews.

I might go if I have the funds. If not, I hope to send one with someone to show it off. Several people have purchased them and might be going to convention as well.

cmkit wrote:One thing I really like about my current primary light the fenix HP10 which I don't see an option for with this current light of yours is a the separate on/off switch, and mode select switch. The magnetic switch of the Sten is quick in getting to the desired brightness, but I find switching to my desired output settings a great annoyance on lights with a single mechanical button. The dual buttons of the HP10 is a nice solution to this problem. Cycling through a bunch of mechanical options which includes turning my light off every time I want to change brightness can be a real annoyance.

I've gotten mixed reviews on the two switch solution. Some like it (fast access to modes), some don't (clutter; more points of failure). On this one, it wasn't an option; a switch that is mechanical that can handle 10 Amps and is this tough seems to need to be pretty large. I don't think people would want it any larger... If I can find a smaller version that would work, I'll give it a shot!

cmkit wrote:A good flood is also quite important to me as many of the lights I've used give me too narrow a field of view.

I like the idea of calling your lights Manley lights :wink:

Very narrow is bad, agreed. Hopefully, I can get the flood portion sorted out soon!

That's two votes for Manley Lights...

Kevin
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » Apr 10, 2012 12:01 am

Good news: I have ordered custom circuit board and the flood modules are being machined. Not much longer!
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » May 1, 2012 7:24 pm

After an awesome weekend at MVOR, I can verify that the headlamp is waterproof to 3 feet (how far my head went under when I stepped into a hole in Rimstone River)! Thanks for leading us, Chad!
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 1, 2012 7:32 pm

LOl I wish I was in the back with you to see you fall into one of those man eating pot holes. Im glad your headlight held up. My best caving buddy is buying one so I will get to see first hand how well it holds up to our kind of torture. I will be able to give first hand reviews from a 2nd person view. I wish I would have asked you to light up the borehole in front when we turned around. I was too busy yapping with ben about survey to notice anyone elses lights till it was too late. How did your pictures turn o ut?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby kevinm » May 1, 2012 7:56 pm

Those around laughed a lot. :rofl:

The pictures were great, particularly the two group shots you did. Even the video came out. Got a couple of salamanders and girls kissing frogs, too.
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » May 12, 2012 12:19 am

I'm testing the flood module in cave tomorrow. More info soon, and sorry for the delay guys!

Kevin
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » May 13, 2012 10:40 pm

The flood module worked perfectly. It's a broad flood, much like a Zebralight (like the H50, specifically), which makes moving through the cave easy. I set the spot (which also has some flood) to about 20% of the flood, which gave it some throw.

With the standard modules, it can put out 2000 emitter lumens. With fancy drop-ins, it could do 4000, but it would be pushing Scurion prices then.

Now I have to figure out pricing...it'll be less than a Sten all told with both modules.

One more picture...

Back to work!
Kevin
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » May 14, 2012 11:55 am

I need a great primary light, pretty interested in buying locally. Let me know when you work out the bugs/pricelist. :kewl:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby Smells_Familiar » May 14, 2012 4:50 pm

kevinm wrote:Image

The flood module worked perfectly. It's a broad flood, much like a Zebralight (like the H50, specifically), which makes moving through the cave easy. I set the spot (which also has some flood) to about 20% of the flood, which gave it some throw.

With the standard modules, it can put out 2000 emitter lumens. With fancy drop-ins, it could do 4000, but it would be pushing Scurion prices then.

Now I have to figure out pricing...it'll be less than a Sten all told with both modules.

One more picture...

Back to work!
Kevin

I have to say Kevin that this light looks very promising!
I look forward to learning more about this light and will be saving up to splurge on a light upgrade sometime in the next year or two.

One possible concern that I have is that the power cable is going to be abraded quite a lot having it sticking out of the top of the battery box like that. It's hard to tell from here but maybe the cable is recessed enough so that the top of the batt. box and the top of the helmet are the only things that get rubbed. I guess I could mount the batt. box upside-down if needed...but it may need a longer cable for that??? What do you think?
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby kevinm » May 16, 2012 4:11 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:I need a great primary light, pretty interested in buying locally. Let me know when you work out the bugs/pricelist. :kewl:

I think I'll be there next week...just waiting for the anodizing guys to finish the second set of 12. The flood will be $70 additional, installed and programmed.

I built one for a buddy going to Mentone next week with 5 levels, no memory, both modules.If you're at NCRC, look for him; he'll be the guy with the goofy grin. :big grin:
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby kevinm » May 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Smells_Familiar wrote:
kevinm wrote:Image

One more picture...

Back to work!
Kevin

I have to say Kevin that this light looks very promising!
I look forward to learning more about this light and will be saving up to splurge on a light upgrade sometime in the next year or two.

One possible concern that I have is that the power cable is going to be abraded quite a lot having it sticking out of the top of the battery box like that. It's hard to tell from here but maybe the cable is recessed enough so that the top of the batt. box and the top of the helmet are the only things that get rubbed. I guess I could mount the batt. box upside-down if needed...but it may need a longer cable for that??? What do you think?

Thanks! Hopefully, I can get some of the satisfied customers to post reviews. Dave just took his to Lech and blinded a bunch of Sten users; maybe he'll post something.

If you go through a lot of tight stuff (I'm in Crawlorado), the cable does rub a bit. Upside down or sideways are probably better options in those cases. I'm going to keep mine like this and see how long before the wear becomes an issue. So far, it's 6 months with plenty of sheathing left (the cable is solid vinyl with little wires inside). The lid is symmetric, so you can arrange it any way you want. Also, there's 2-3" extra cable inside the helmet. Normally, I make them 13" outside the headlamp and battery box, but the cable length is custom (anything under 3 feet is free with the headlamp).
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Postby Jewel addiction » May 16, 2012 5:53 pm

I was in Lech. with Dave, and yes the light did perform very very well, but I would never say that it "blinded" any Sten user. We compared the two lights side by side in the Keel Hall (a very large room) The "Manly light" haha, as I called it all week, was brighter, but not so much that it made a difference. I would be really interested in purchasing one of your lights if I could get just a couple modifications made to make it suited for my caving style.
Jewel addiction
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 62352
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum