25yr old lost at mud caves

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby HitekHomeless » Apr 13, 2012 11:08 am

Missing since Saturday. Anza-Borrego, California.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/17402839/resc ... Id=6937202
HitekHomeless
Infrequent Poster

Re: 25yr old lost at mud caves

Postby pkeckley » Apr 13, 2012 7:07 pm

I wish I could do something to help. I have not been to a crc school, but I am a firefighter well versed in rope work and I have a deep passion for caves. I pray for the lost man. It is never smart to go in to caves alone. :sad:
pkeckley
New Poster

NSS #: 63994
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Any cavers out there in CaveChat land familiar with the cave, or have been able to learn some info on the rescue from a caver's perspective?
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Ernie Coffman » Apr 14, 2012 9:03 am

Cheryl, et al,
I thought that there would be more comments on this incident. Anyway about it, here's a message from Morley Hardaker in Davis, CA, who goes down to the mud caves quite often:
"Yes , I know that area ... Been to those caves! also Scott Schmitz knows them better than I do. There are about 20 mapped caves there that appeared some years ago.I think in the Cal Caver.
Anyway, to answer your question: The park people tired to keep them secret, but some San Diego outing group found out about and published them in their adventure papers. Only one (Big Mud Cave.) is noted in any park publications or park books by Diana & Lowell Lindsey These are all mud caves and are capable of collapse or mud fall! E-ticket cave is one of the longest ones and is very mazey !This fellow could be trapped by possible mud slide or slipped off of a cliff into one of the many canyons (Crevices) that are also in the area. Running away doesn't sound reasonable ...Why? Those arroyos all look the same out there,so he could just be lost! Who in his right mind would run barefoot out there? Let me know if you hear anything more!"

From the news articles that I've read, and to answer some thoughts on this missing guy, he wasn't by himself, but with others. They had gone into a cave and he stayed on top to enjoy the view and the day. From what I gathered, when they came back out, he wasn't around, so...go figure! He just didn't vanish, unless of course, you believe in UFOs gobbling him up. He possibly went exploring somewhat and there might have been a collapse of the area. What I can't figure out is why the SAR K-9 haven't found something on him. They're usually pretty good on finding a scent of one, in a case like this. Of course, if they were walking all over the place, before they notified the authorities, then the place was contaminated and that would make it much more difficult.
That's all I know for now, except that several cavers from San Diego Grotto and probably Southern California Grotto, are involved in this mystery, and I hope they find a solution and an answer for his family. It doesn't look good, though, unless he has an air pocket of hope with him, similar to an avalanche. 'Tis nasty!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 14, 2012 9:36 am

It sounds from the news video that he went into the cave with friends and emerged on his own through an upper entrance. Instead of following him, his friends went back through the cave exiting from their original entrance.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby Ernie Coffman » Apr 14, 2012 7:16 pm

And, then disappeared! They weren't away from him that long, I don't believe. Therefore, was there a crumbling of the walls that are so loose and easy to fall in...or what? Your guess!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tilmanb » May 7, 2012 12:25 pm

Cavingnews.com has news of (possibly) his body being found, and unspecified "geologists" advising on body removal: http://cavingnews.com/20120507-body-of- ... aving+news
tilmanb
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 7, 2012 1:56 pm

NSSWest has confirmed the subject has been found, also, and that today--probably--they'll be going for removing his body. Guess my comment on the 14th wasn't too far off, after all.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 7, 2012 5:09 pm

tilmanb wrote:Cavingnews.com has news of (possibly) his body being found, and unspecified "geologists" advising on body removal: http://cavingnews.com/20120507-body-of- ... aving+news

Sad, but at least it seems there will be closure.

Footage from a camera lowered some 18 meters (60 feet) down into a crevice in the caves showed a body with clothing that matched what the UCSD psychology student was wearing at the time he disappeared.
Because of the body’s difficult to access location, the sheriff’s department is expected to get assistance from a geologist to help retrieve the body.

The geologist comment is certainly interesting. Ah, geologists - is there nothing they can't do?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 7, 2012 8:52 pm

Yea, I thought that bringing in a geologist from Sacramento, no less, was kind of outlandish, but what do we know. :yikes: Leave it to the cavers and they'd probably have him out in a short-short, is MHO.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 7, 2012 9:04 pm

Whatever it takes, I suppose.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 8, 2012 5:45 pm

This is the latest information that I have on this tragedy.

"No easy job this.I listened to a San Diego tv station on line this am and the sherrif's pr officer gave this explanation, The victim slipped down 15 feet or so, then another 30-45 ft at which point he was encased up to his chest in sand that slid down with him.

The cave rescue team or ? were trying to haul sand away and with every bucket out a bucket fell in. How can they be in this area without endangering the rescuers?

Father has a call out to someone with commercial vacuum equipment. Cave recovery guys have said no more on their part. Mining types next? Imagine the hole and shoring they will have to engineer to make that happen.

What do you think Cal State parks engineer will have to say about that?

Don't think the family will be satisfied with a Floyd Collins ending. Will Arroya Tapiado be closed to public? Grim all the away around."

This was sent to me by Caroline Brown, who lives north of the area.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 15, 2012 9:11 am

Here's a good description of the body recovery. (Art and Barbara Fortini are NSS members... :kewl: )

Rescuers Recount Mud Cave Body Recovery
From rappelling to digging and navigating hairpin turns, Sierra Madre Search and Rescue details one of their recent and most difficult rescues: recovering the body of a missing hiker in a San Diego mud cave.
http://montrose.patch.com/articles/resc ... y-ce88d727
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby WVCaver2011 » May 15, 2012 11:16 am

You would be amazed at just how many geologists have also been or still are cavers (myself included).... Im not exactly sure why a geologist went in for a body recovery.... Was there some mention of where the body may be within the cave? Im not quite understanding WHY they called a geologist in for this... Any random caver would have probably done just as well in this situation.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby NZcaver » May 15, 2012 3:58 pm

WVCaver2011 wrote:You would be amazed at just how many geologists have also been or still are cavers (myself included).... Im not exactly sure why a geologist went in for a body recovery.... Was there some mention of where the body may be within the cave? Im not quite understanding WHY they called a geologist in for this... Any random caver would have probably done just as well in this situation.

Exactly. See this topic for more details.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum