Climbing system question...

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Climbing system question...

Postby Cody JW » May 14, 2012 12:19 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:Im fairly new to being on-rope... just wanted to know about gdstorricks' signature. What is wrong with climbing using "frog-system"? Can you give me either a brief explanation, or point to a previous thread on the subject? I practice frog all the time in a setup I have in a tree outside. Be nice to know if I'm wasting my time with obsolete methods... Sorry to change the topic. Thanks.
Nothing wrong with the frog system. I prefer it for short drops because it is compact compared to most other climb systems. It is used widely in Europe due to its ease in passing re belays.I use my frog much more than my rope walker.Many deep cave explorations are rigged Euro style with re belays and frogs are the system of choice.
Last edited by Cody JW on May 14, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby cavemud2 » May 14, 2012 2:16 pm

I am hoping to make it up to Rams Head Sat morning as well. Have a wedding rehersal at 630 pm here in town so im going to try for a quick day trip. I have the same problem with it banging off my shin. I used to use a old knee pad that i would slide down on my shin but have lost it. Moving the stiff step out to the ball of my foot did help abit, but would still bang my shin when i was climbing fast. I have just gotten used to it. The one thing that bruises me something awful is the small clip the clips my bungee to my chest harness. It digs into my chest bone and after a day of wearing it i got a nice big bruise in the middle of my chest. I have made me a frog and have been messing a bit with it. Its much easier for small drops then the ropewalker
Randy Gandy Club 2011 :bat sticker:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62,925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Parkersburg Area Grotto

Postby Cody JW » May 14, 2012 3:11 pm

cavemud2 wrote:The one thing that bruises me something awful is the small clip the clips my bungee to my chest harness. It digs into my chest bone and after a day of wearing it i got a nice big bruise in the middle of my chest.
Do you use the plastic "pinch protector" ?? This is a little piece of plastic that is designed to keep loose clothing and other stuff from getting into the little pulley. It also keeps that connection away from the chest a bit.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Cody JW wrote: This is a little piece of plastic that is designed to keep loose clothing and other stuff from getting into the little pulley. It also keeps that connection away from the chest a bit.

Yea, other stuff like BOOBS...! :rofl:
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby VACaver » May 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Cody JW wrote:
cavemud2 wrote:The one thing that bruises me something awful is the small clip the clips my bungee to my chest harness. It digs into my chest bone and after a day of wearing it i got a nice big bruise in the middle of my chest.
Do you use the plastic "pinch protector" ?? This is a little piece of plastic that is designed to keep loose clothing and other stuff from getting into the little pulley. It also keeps that connection away from the chest a bit.

Got a picture of the plastic piece?
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby cavemud2 » May 14, 2012 4:17 pm

LOL I have no boobs to pinch thank goodness. That would just be one more thing i had in the way. I do not use the pinch protector. I dont have much of a problem with my shirt getting snaggin in there, its just the backside of the clip that digs my breastbone when i tighten up my harness. VA you can get one of those pinch protectors from onrope1. If it keeps it away some i wouldnt mind trying it. Heck for 8$ at a chance for less pain im in there.

http://onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=pr ... 3&parent=7
Randy Gandy Club 2011 :bat sticker:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62,925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Parkersburg Area Grotto

Postby Cody JW » May 14, 2012 5:28 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote:
Cody JW wrote: This is a little piece of plastic that is designed to keep loose clothing and other stuff from getting into the little pulley. It also keeps that connection away from the chest a bit.

Yea, other stuff like BOOBS...! :rofl:
That is funny, I have that "man boob" thing going on and mine never got caught in the pulley. But, mine are not as big as Kelly's. All kidding aside when I first bought the OR1 system I tried it without the pinch protector. On the first climb stuff was getting caught in the pulley (no boobs) . Bought the pinch protector and problem was solved. My man boobs have gotten bigger since then so maybe without the protector I might be in for a nipple twister.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 7, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby chh » May 14, 2012 7:35 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:Im fairly new to being on-rope... just wanted to know about gdstorricks' signature. What is wrong with climbing using "frog-system"? ... Thanks.

Oh jeez. Here we go.

Answer:
Nothing. Everything.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Chads93GT » May 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Here is the trick to keep the Croll on the right foot from slapping off the shin/calf.

As you climb, point your toes downward. This is something you have to think about as your natural step leaves your foot flat or your toes pointing upward. Doing this causes the Croll to slap your leg.

Point your toes down.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 7, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » May 14, 2012 8:54 pm

gdstorrick wrote:In 1978. Must be at least $412,529.17 in today's money :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

A pair of Jumars cost $17 then.

That would be more like the price for one. Jumars were $17.50 each in the 1975 REI catalog. A replacement cam with spring, rivet, and washer was $5.05
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » May 15, 2012 4:52 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 7, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby VACaver » May 15, 2012 6:41 am

Chads93GT wrote:Here is the trick to keep the Croll on the right foot from slapping off the shin/calf.

As you climb, point your toes downward. This is something you have to think about as your natural step leaves your foot flat or your toes pointing upward. Doing this causes the Croll to slap your leg.

Point your toes down.

I will give it a try...thanks!!
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » May 15, 2012 9:26 am

Solid answers. Back to reading.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws