The difference between spelunkers and cavers

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The difference between spelunkers and cavers

Postby Jon » May 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Wish I had that third eye, way I hear it that eye can see through rock and thus allow you to determine if some thing goes.........
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby BrianFrank » Jul 10, 2012 10:40 am

Explored part of Anderson Spring cave on Pigeon Mt. this past Sunday. About 6:30 PM as we exited the cave we met a group of 4 guys who were on there way in. I stopped to talk with them and they were nice locals in their early 20's. The extent of their equipment was one small backpack and one large machete between them. There was no evidence of proper caving equipment and the small backpack was not large enough for more than one helment. I asked them if they had a map or lights. They said they had a few flashlights in the pack, but no map. I gave them my map and encouraged them to be careful. I also gave them all my contact info if they wanted to get more info on proper caving. One of them has already contacted me and we are making a nice new caving friendship.

The guys mentioned to me that they attended the local grotto meeting to try and make connections, but no one would speak to them and they felt like outsiders. Their experience was not a good one. I won't mention the grotto by name, but it is the grotto in that area. COMMENT....We need to do what we can to make new cavers feel welcome. I remember my first few meetings at the Dogwood grotto, people were extremely warm and friendly, but that may not be the case at all grottos for new visitors. Don't we want spelunkers to become good safe cavers!
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 10, 2012 11:22 am

Definitely do, Brian. And, it looks like you've started a communications with these guys. Why not try contacting the grotto that you're inferring to, and see what their problem is. You're on the right track and so are these newbies. Get them signed up for NSS membership and mentor them yourself, if need be.
Ernie
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum