Hey from michigan.

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hey from michigan.

Postby self-deleted_user » May 7, 2012 2:33 pm

NZcaver wrote:Now that I think about it, you're not the first person to mention problems finding active/accessible grottos in Michigan. Where are you located? A couple of years ago another newbie Michigan caver ended up connecting with St Joseph Valley Grotto in Elkhart Indiana and had a good time with that.
I am hurt you forgot me!! I certainly bitched about it enough here about how much grottos up there suck!

Oh and I just thought of another place - Port Huron is closer over to Canada, there is a caving group in Toronto that is quite active, I will send you their infomation as well. They don't have huge caves over there but it's something and a bit closer for a weekend, and they do trips to richer cave-regions of Ontario. Again they are super friendly and all I had to do was email them and got more trip offers for the weekend I was going to be out that way than I knew what to do with.

Another thing to keep in mind is this: The gas that you spend in driving from PH to southern IN or KY is likely going to end up being the same as if you drove to DTW and flew down here to TAG, and it's a lot quicker (1.5 hr flight, direct flights DTW to ATL for about $150 round trip is easily found). I'm in Huntsville which is too far to pick you up (sorry, or I'd offer!) but if you ever wanted to come down to Huntsville I'll take you to awesome stuff down here. The majority of my caving was racking up airline miles, flying to TAG and being picked up by cavers here, and then staying with them and caving for a long weekend. Same (or cheaper) cost, bigger and way more caves, shorter time in travel.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 7, 2012 2:57 pm

Sixx77 wrote:Spent the weekend in mammoth cave doing the various wild tours and my girlfriend and I loved it. Been trying to get in contact with a grotto around these parts, and not having much luck! Recently joined the nss, (yesterday) so I dont even have a ID number yet. Doing alot of reading, well did, even before mammoth and I'm looking to get more involved with it all. Looking to learn everything I can!

thanks for reading. :grin:

You may also be interested in the Mammoth Cave Restoration Group. They have 4 camps a year - 3 are weekend camps and 1 is a week long camp. The weekend camps are always the first weekends in March, May & November and the weeklong camp is in August. There are a lot of great cavers that volunteer for the camps and you get to see off the tourist trails in Mammoth and occassionally do some work in other caves on the property. The park service even provides the volunteers a place to stay for FREE for the camps.

http://www.restoremammoth.com/

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Sixx77 » May 7, 2012 4:23 pm

That sounds very interesting as well. Thanks for the link!

And I didn't think about that. The flying cost vs gas cost. But then again, I didn't think about being picked up either! I use to live in Hamilton Alabama. Unfortunately most of the family made their way over to Mississippi.
Sixx77
Infrequent Poster

Name: Matthew Triplett
NSS #: 64108

Postby NZcaver » May 7, 2012 5:40 pm

Sungura wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Now that I think about it, you're not the first person to mention problems finding active/accessible grottos in Michigan. Where are you located? A couple of years ago another newbie Michigan caver ended up connecting with St Joseph Valley Grotto in Elkhart Indiana and had a good time with that.

I am hurt you forgot me!! I certainly bitched about it enough here about how much grottos up there suck!

Yes, you did. And there were a couple of cavers before you who posted about trying to find grottos around there. Don't be hurt. How could I forget you? :tonguecheek:

Good luck, Sixx77. Looks like you've got some good leads to follow up on.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Sixx77 » May 7, 2012 5:54 pm

The waiting has paid off for sure. Starting to meet some great/helpful people. Starting to not feel AS singled out up here. :)
Sixx77
Infrequent Poster

Postby JeanDeVries » May 7, 2012 9:39 pm

Amy,

Seriously. We get that you don't like us. The feeling is mostly mutual. You didn't work out with us, we didn't work out with you. It happens. Not all grottos have everything that one person needs. That's why there's many to shop around for. We have always, and will always, invite people to join us. If we're not what they're looking for, we understand. We offer many things for many people, and will happily point people in the direction of a grotto that may fit their needs better if we're not it.

For someone who claims you got bored with our cave, you've been in in six times, and likely at least once without permission. Your beef with us was over us trying to protect our cave and our conservancy from what we considered reckless behavior. If that makes us unapproachable, we're OK with that. Anyone who would like to know more is more than welcome to PM me. I will defend our actions, but I will not stoop to her level and do it on a public forum.

We are glad you found people in Huntsville that you feel at home with, and good luck with your caving endeavors.

Jean DeVries
JeanDeVries
Occasional Poster

Postby JR-Orion » May 8, 2012 9:57 am

Wecome to Cavechat.

I live in Illinois, belong to the Iowa Grotto, and go caving in Iowa, Minnesota, and Kentucky. Pretty sure my next car is going to be a 4 cylinder to save on gas.

Anyway, you mentioned going to Mammoth Cave- have you read The Longest Cave yet? That's the book that got me hooked.
:grin:

I don't know anything about Michigan caves, so I can't help there.

But after reading Fifty Years Under the Sinkhole Plain, it sounds like Indiana has some great caves. So heading south might be an option for you.

Have fun.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Cody JW » May 8, 2012 11:31 am

JR-Orion wrote:But after reading Fifty Years Under the Sinkhole Plain, it sounds like Indiana has some great caves. So heading south might be an option for you.
You are right JR. I have caved in Indiana for 30 years and we have LOTS of caves. Wet , vertical, multi drop, long ect. We have lots of pits in Harrison County especially but for now most are on state property and closed for WNS. We are not TAG but we have lots of great caves. I live in Indianapolis , we are 3 hours down I-65 from Mammoth Cave area. About 7 hours from TAG proper and around two hours from pit central in Harrison County. I feel lucky compared to those north of me.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Sixx77 » May 8, 2012 12:02 pm

Jr, thanks for the book recommendation. I looked it up on amazon and will add it to the list! Sounds like a good one.
Sixx77
Infrequent Poster

Postby David Grimes » May 9, 2012 6:19 pm

You mentioned you are planning a move to Kentucky in December, what part of the state will you be moving to? The Louisville area does not have as many caves close by but they do have tons of great and friendly cavers at the Louisville grotto (and they own the Lonestar Preserve). Most of the good caving is further south in Kentucky but south central Indiana around Harrison and Crawford county especially is full of caves and just a 20 minute drive from Louisville.

If you make it down to Harrison county Indiana get in touch with me and I am sure I could take you along or at least set you up with some really great cavers to some truly amazing caves.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Sixx77 » May 9, 2012 10:18 pm

right into the bowling green area. But that wont be until around december sometime, (with any luck). Trying to get some things going with the one grotto in indiana as well. On that note, we are not against a weekend trip though!
Sixx77
Infrequent Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 10, 2012 7:19 am

Sixx77 wrote:right into the bowling green area. But that wont be until around december sometime, (with any luck). Trying to get some things going with the one grotto in indiana as well. On that note, we are not against a weekend trip though!

Then you won't be too far from TAG if you are in the Bowling Green area... There are TONS of caves in Tennessee. The Nashville Grotto are some great folks too...!
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 10, 2012 8:57 am

Sixx77 wrote:Jr, thanks for the book recommendation. I looked it up on amazon and will add it to the list!

Hey all, don't forget to support the NSS Bookstore when you want books on caving, caves and cavers! http://www.NSSBookstore.org Members and life members receive a discount on NSS-published books.

One note: I understand that they've recently had a (temporary) glitch that keeps the bookstore from giving the member discount but you can just call the office with your order. OVP Dave may be able to post more info.

:off topic:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby David Grimes » May 10, 2012 9:33 am

Sixx77 wrote:right into the bowling green area. But that wont be until around december sometime, (with any luck). Trying to get some things going with the one grotto in indiana as well. On that note, we are not against a weekend trip though!

Bowling Green is really a great area for a caver. You would be just about right in the middle between TAG and southern Indiana (a little closer to southern Indiana) and still have the advantage of being near most of the Kentucky caves. Good luck with your moving plans.

My offer still stands, if your going to be in my area sometime just let me know and I am sure I can get you in on a trip.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Previous

Return to Caver Introductions