LED Lenser H14

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LED Lenser H14

Postby trogman » May 2, 2012 9:54 am

http://www.amazon.com/LED-Lenser-880044-Headlamp-Black/dp/B0053GV2T4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4

Has anyone else used one of these? I have a Sten, but am looking for a less expensive light for a friend just getting into caving. I have seen some issues raised concerning both the Apex and the Fenix HP-11, and I don't want a light that uses odd batteries, such as CR123. If anyone has any experience with one of these Lensers, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: LED Lenser H14

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 2, 2012 10:59 am

I have a lot of experience looking at LED Lenser lights at Lowes. I haven't seen this particular model but the ones I have looked at seemed to be extremely low quality.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby brngk » May 9, 2012 11:40 am

There is a lot of love for the apex and hp-11, and for the price point you can find them on sale on line, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better "perfect" lamp. Unless you are in a horribly wet cave, consider the apex, ~50 bucks I think and pack of eneloops.
brngk
Occasional Poster

Postby Kidd785 » Feb 2, 2013 6:05 pm

Surprized Their is not more disscusion on this lamp? Although not waterproof these lamps are the business! Check Amazon.com even at 25$ more than the hp11 it has a better 5 star rating. Also worth noting that it has its own china imitator on ebay.
Kidd785
Infrequent Poster

Postby gindling » Feb 4, 2013 11:27 am

I used one of the older versions a few years ago in Puerto Rico while caving and it didn't last but a day or two. There are two flaws I noticed while taking it apart after it broke.

The wires from the lamp to the batteries were the primary failure. They are very thin gauge and not at all securely held into the battery compartment at all. After a bit of caving the lead simply slipped out or popped out of whatever was holding it. I could make it work if I held it in place. Or shook it vigorously.

The focusing knob on the side of the light which extends the beam length quickly became full of grit and wouldn't slide anymore. Though it did have a nice bright spot beam for a little while.

It looks as if this newer version is a bit beefier and may be better made but I would be wary.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 4, 2013 12:37 pm

trogman wrote:Has anyone else used one of these? I have a Sten, but am looking for a less expensive light for a friend just getting into caving. I have seen some issues raised concerning both the Apex and the Fenix HP-11, and I don't want a light that uses odd batteries, such as CR123. If anyone has any experience with one of these Lensers, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
Trogman :helmet:

I ordered one of these to test it out. It is incredibly bright, that is the good thing. Now the bad things.

1.) The wire from the lens head to the battery case is very thin/fragile and easily broken. It is the thinnest wire I have ever seen on a cave light.
2.) The battery case is not a case but a rubber cover that slips over the batteries. I would say it is not even water resistant in light rain.
3.) The lens does focus by turning it. It is actually a great idea as it can focus from a very wide beam to a very narrow beam. But, if any grit or a piece of sand gets under the outer ring of the lens assembly it will ruin the ability to turn/focus. There is nothing to guard dirt or sand from entering the len assembly and it will most assuredly happen during the first cave trip.
4.) After playing with this light for a few minutes it quit turning on. On close inspection the positive wire came lose in the battery case. The light was not dropped or handled roughly. The connection came lose from picking up and turning the light on and off.

FYI....Dozens of these lights are available on Ebay under different names from different sellers with each of them claiming different specs. STAY AWAY.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby rjack » Feb 4, 2013 1:08 pm

I have had many headlamps for campling and climbing in the past. But they were all bulky halogen bulb units and I wanted something a little more modern for caving. The LED princeton tec remix was/is my first caving headlamp. Works a treat and it seems built to last. Its not as bright as something like a Sten on high. But it was only $39 at REI and keeps up with my bigger, fancier lighted buddies just fine.
rjack
Occasional Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 4, 2013 1:12 pm

My suggestion to anyone who does not have a light and wants to get started without spending a bundle is to get a Fenix or Apex. Both seem to be nice lights for the price. I can buy an Apex locally for 60 bucks and return it if it fails. Yes there are faults to these lights especially if you compare them to a Sten or other premium lights. Just remember with any light to observe a "rule" of caving and carry independent back ups. Princeton Tec will replace defective lights, just keep your receipt. If you do not plan to do any wet caving I would get the Apex because of the choices of optics it offers. The Fenix may be more water resistant but seems to be a bit spotty for caving. My experience has been Fenix is more efficient on batteries than Apex. I had seen a post on another forum where Fenix has come out with a new headlamp that offers both flood and spot but I do not know if it is priced like the Apex, HP-10 or HP-20. I know many who have caved for years with The Apex. If you are looking to keep it under 100 bucks that would be my suggestion.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby JohnC » Feb 4, 2013 4:05 pm

Petzl duos are very good.
JohnC
Infrequent Poster

Postby Kidd785 » Feb 4, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I have one of these lights myself and am super impressed with its power and ability to focus but i will keep it out of the caves so it doesn't break down on me.
Kidd785
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dat5un » Feb 14, 2013 10:55 am

I have several LED Lenser Lights (All hand lights) and I have to say that they are awesome quality. Never had a problem with them and the one time I did (my fault) I sent it in and got a new one very quickly. Great Company.
Jason Walburn | Over The Edge | Warehouse Manager, Sprat Level 1
-----------------------------------------------
Dogwood City Grotto | Public Relations
Dat5un
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jason Walburn
NSS #: 63812
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum