Hello from Las Vegas

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Las Vegas

Postby go_browns79 » Aug 8, 2011 5:45 am

I moved out to Vegas 3 years ago from the Cleveland area. I've been exploring old mines and ghost towns the past couple years and have been hearing more and more about caves in the area's I'm going to so I decided to look into it. I had the privilege to visit Kokoweef Caverns a few months ago, they've been mining the area for years looking for the lost river of gold.

I just started rappelling about a year ago and I'm hooked!!! I've been down a few deep mine shafts and am always looking for more places to go. I got a SRT and frogging set-up with a 300' rope (11mm static). I've got the basics down, but I'd like to learn some more advanced rope work.

I've been in contact with Tom from the Southern Nevada Grotto and just joined the NSS today so I think I'm headed in the right direction.

Have fun and be safe- Bill
Bill
go_browns79
New Poster

Name: Bill
NSS #: 63398

Re: Hello from Las Vegas

Postby JR-Orion » Aug 10, 2011 8:29 am

Hello and welcome aboard. Exploring old mines and ghost towns sounds great.

:kaver:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 26, 2012 5:36 am

Welcome to Cavechat!! :waving:

Yeah, mines are not the same as caves. Not only are they less stable (rockfall/collapse), they can have dangerous gasses. Some kill out outright, others displace O2. I wouldn't go in abandoned mines without specific training and equipment.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Apr 26, 2012 6:12 am

FYI, the original post is from 8 months ago. And if the OP Bill or anybody else interesting in mine exploring is reading this, yes it pays to be careful in that environment. I suggest hooking up with organized mine explorers who have the right gear and know what they are doing. A few pop up on the forum from time to time.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Caver Introductions