Sump breath holding

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sump breath holding

Postby FW » Mar 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:Yes, but how many cave diving accidents haven't ended in fatalities? I can think of 3. Ever.

You need to add a couple to your total. There were 2 rescued in Marianna, FL a couple weeks ago. Before that, 1 in Thunder Hole, 2 in Otter Spring, 1 in Bat Colon cave. Did I miss any?
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

2 friends and I dove a sump 4' long 3 years ago. Never again. No one died but the thought of going back once we got in was horrifying
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 25, 2012 7:11 am

With some sumps it may be best to come back during an extremely dry time and check it again. Maybe then it will not be a sump.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 25, 2012 8:35 am

I've yet to find one of those kinds of sumps, personaly.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 25, 2012 9:01 am

I have seen a few in Indiana and Kentucky that were seasonal.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 25, 2012 9:17 am

i take that back. a paleo segment of oru river cave survey floods upon retarded storm drainage and sumps out. It takes a few months for the water to perculate through the clay to lower levels/or evaporate, however it gets out. During those times its sumped out but this is 20=25 feet above the stream. The stream level sumps do not drain out no matter how long it doesnt rain.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby FW » Mar 25, 2012 10:48 am

I broke through a sump in Tennessee, and a few hundred feet later, it sumped again. I had left my gear at the first sump, so I didn't even look at the second sump. A few months later, TN had a serious drought, and some "dry" cavers crawled through both sumps. Then they found a place where the cave came very near the surface, and dug a new entrance. They mapped about two miles of cave. Cave that I could have been the first to go in, if not for the drought :doh:
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Mar 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Actually, we've mapped over 5 miles of "new" cave and then we also dug a connection to a cave we had mapped 4+ miles in years ago and the total to date is over 10 miles now. When we pushed it, the first sump had about 3" of air space and the second was just a mud waller. About 1500' into the new stuff past the sump we had to pop a rock to get through to the rest.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby FW » Mar 27, 2012 6:07 am

boreholio wrote:Actually, we've mapped over 5 miles of "new" cave and then we also dug a connection to a cave we had mapped 4+ miles in years ago and the total to date is over 10 miles now. When we pushed it, the first sump had about 3" of air space and the second was just a mud waller. About 1500' into the new stuff past the sump we had to pop a rock to get through to the rest.

Sounds like the same cave. I guess I need to go look at it again :roll:
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Apr 2, 2012 5:04 pm

If you want to go in the dry way, holler at me or Marbry when you're up this way.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby reforma » Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Just to add my point of view to this from the UK. The third trip i ever did in a cave was to swildons sump 1 a 4-5ft sump, which i did without problems. The fixed line in the sump makes passage through it much quicker than swimming as you can drag yourself along. but the shape of the passage is important as well as the length, i would do longer in open passage but anything smaller i wouldent do an inch. be carefull out there
reforma
New Poster

Previous

Return to Cave Diving Forum